Replacement autoride strut coil spring assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usdlawstudent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and first time posting. I tried looking for an answer for about an hour, but couldn’t quite find what I was looking for. Feel free to forward links to other thread(s) if this has already been discussed and settled :)

I recently purchased a 2010 Yukon Denali AWD with ~136k miles from the original owner. It has the z55 glove box code. The vehicle has been very well maintained, but I’m pretty sure the suspension is completely original, and could use new shocks and struts. I was looking for a coil spring + strut assembly that preserves the active auto ride suspension. Rock auto and most other retailers only seem to sell passive conversion kits. At one point recently, I thought I found an active replacement assembly from Mac auto parts, but now I can’t seem to find the link to share.

For those that have done this, have you just bought replacement struts and coils separately? I was hoping to buy the “assembly” to make for easier DIY and avoid needing a coil spring compressor, but I suppose I can adjust my expectations if that’s the way to go. Appreciate any help in advance!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Dorman is / was the only legit company making a loaded or complete set up like your looking for. 07-14 Escalade / Denali AWD and likely the 09> 2WD variant use the same front springs for z95 / z55.

You can get an OEM set up with AC Delco lifetime guarantee front z55 active struts for about $575 a side. I sent ya a pm with the info.

Don’t skimp on the strut bushings. Get the OEM GM version as the rubber material inside lasts a good decade and keeps the knocking away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

usdlawstudent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dorman is / was the only legit company making a loaded or complete set up like your looking for. 07-14 Escalade / Denali AWD and likely the 09> 2WD variant use the same front springs for z95 / z55.

You can get an OEM set up with AC Delco lifetime guarantee front z55 active struts for about $575 a side. I sent ya a pm with the info.

Don’t skimp on the strut bushings. Get the OEM GM version as the rubber material inside lasts a good decade and keeps the knocking away.
Thank you so much! From what I’ve seen during my review of the various forums, it seems like the “majority view” in the forum participants is that the oem active ride is “better” than the non-active/dummy replacements. Do you all generally understand that to be the case?

In case helpful, I am considering using a leveling kit to raise the front end up a touch, but I don’t have plans to retrofit the suspension with an aftermarket “off-road” suspension/lift kit

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
As long as you don’t plan on laying frame vs a level or drop of an inch or two, OEM z55 or z95 handles soaking up the frequency of the road better. If going lower, Bilstein, higher, what ever ya got for the lift. If going to the extreme on the high or low road, yea, you’ll be talking about resistors if the truck you’ve got has z55.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 5 genuine OEM front Z55 shocks (only) left at GMPartsDirect.com at $363.33 each, and as @petethepug stated, you should also purchase the ancillary rubber parts and steel top plate to go with the entire strut assembly. The springs are currently backordered at this web site, but you can also use an equivalent Moog spring spec (that is what I did, as the OEM front springs are discontinued for my 2007 Yukon XL Denali), and they work just fine. My recommendation is that you purchase all of the front strut components, and take them to a local repair shop with a large spring compressor and let them assemble the strut assembly for you at a nominal labor charge. Then, you can replace the front strut assembly yourself, as it is an easy job to do in your driveway.

You do not need to do any mechanical leveling of the truck, as the Denali with the Z55 suspension is self-leveling. Once the job is complete, you only need to perform the Automatic level Control (ALC) procedure on a known level surface with a quality bi-directional scanner.

I've had both the OEM Z55 suspension and an aftermarket passive suspension (converted by the previous owner) on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali, and when I converted back to the OEM Z55 suspension, I found it to be a far superior suspension and ride. I will note, however, that some folks on this Forum have converted to, and prefer, an aftermarket passive suspension.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Nuf said and well done like a perfect steak.

Your previous post needs to be copied and pasted into your standard welcome greeting for new visitors.

OP
OP
U

usdlawstudent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully last question on this - any tips on how to locate the RPO code for the coil springs?

Rock auto appears to have a few GM OEM springs available using my vehicle info (year, model), but the only suspension RPO codes listed in my glove box (6G4 and 7G4) don’t seem to line up with the RPO codes in the rock auto coil spring offerings. I’m guessing the coil spring RPO code is on the coil spring itself (?) but I can’t easily see a code on my springs from looking under the vehicle or under the hood. I’m guessing that I’ll have to remove the wheel to confirm, but if there’s a simpler way, I’d love to know

OP
OP
U

usdlawstudent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Might’ve answered my own question after doing a parts search on ac delco - I plugged my vin in - 1GKUKEEF8AR268270- and its returning a GM part number 20842472 as corresponding to RPO codes 6G4 and 7G4.

That part number doesn’t line up to the rock auto offerings, so it maybe a non OEM spring for me (Monroe, moot)

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might’ve answered my own question after doing a parts search on ac delco - I plugged my vin in - 1GKUKEEF8AR268270- and its returning a GM part number 20842472 as corresponding to RPO codes 6G4 and 7G4.

That part number doesn’t line up to the rock auto offerings, so it maybe a non OEM spring for me (Monroe, moot)
Those are the secondary RPO codes for your front suspension. The primary RPO code for your suspension should be Z55. Please check and confirm that you have Z55 listed on your RPO code sticker. The correct parts will be compatible with both primary and secondary RPO codes.

From the GM RPO Decoder List:
Z55 - CHASSIS PACKAGE BI-STATE REAL TIME DAMPING
G64 - COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP(6G4)
7G4 - COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7G4)

As a cross-check, plug in your VIN in to the GMPartsDirect.com web site and see what you get.

Regarding springs, they often have a sticker on them with the part number listed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DiabolicLoco