Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t get enough abuse so I thought I’d replace the fuel filter that Amazon delivered today. I usually YouTube this shit just to refresh my memory in case there’s anything I forgot but I figured, it’s just a fuel filter. Remove the fuel pump relay, start the truck and let it run until it dies. That removes all the pressure, right? Apparently not. I unscrewed one of the lines and it looked loose but wouldn’t come off the filter so I repositioned my head right under it with the work light shining on it so I could see real good and wiggled the line a bit and then it let loose. And the gas hit me right in my eyes. Luckily I was wearing my glasses but it still hit my eyes pretty good. Blinded and not wanting to open my eyes since I could feel it burning, I blindly climbed out from under the truck and wandered into the garage. I felt around until I found a roll of paper towels. Oh man that hurt. All I could do was laugh it off. Been a rough day. Fuel filter change complete. :boxed:
I worry about that happening to me. Have a issue with the fuel from the tank/fuel pump fuel flow not stopping. Half a coffee can of fuel so far from the tank and cannot stop the flow at the fuel filter. 3/4 tank of fuel. front end on ramps front end level nothing seems to stop the flow. Steady stream of fuel from rear fuel line. No pressure at all let the truck sit for a week. I am also wearing glasses and away from filter as far as possible.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worry about that happening to me. Have a issue with the fuel from the tank/fuel pump fuel flow not stopping. Half a coffee can of fuel so far from the tank and cannot stop the flow at the fuel filter. 3/4 tank of fuel. front end on ramps front end level nothing seems to stop the flow. Steady stream of fuel from rear fuel line. No pressure at all let the truck sit for a week. I am also wearing glasses and away from filter as far as possible.
Did you pull the fuel pump relay and then start the truck and let it run until it runs out of fuel and dies? There shouldn’t be much fuel come out after that.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the fuel pump relay and then start the truck and let it run until it runs out of fuel and dies? There shouldn’t be much fuel come out after that.
I did not. I waited till the next day the front fuel line off the front of the filter just dripped when loosened but it dripped for 10 mins then I pulled it out of the filter and it drained more fuel out but did not seem to be under any pressure. The main fuel line from the fuel pump that goes into the filter is another issue. I'm getting a steady flow of fuel through the filter and out the front of the filter where the front fuel line screws on. Even with the front of the truck up on ramps the fuel will not stop draining from the filter. The fuel tank is 3/4 full of fuel and I have drained out more fuel than the filter and all the fuel lines could possibly have in them I know this makes no sense. Also draining fuel into clean coffee can and the fuel is cloudy not clear with sediments in the bottom from the filter. Going to put the truck at the bottom of my steep driveway with the front of the truck facing up the driveway hopefully that will stop the leaking fuel so I can change the filter. It shouldn't matter how much fuel is in the tank. if it stops leaking at the bottom of the driveway than something is not right with the fuel system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady