Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need a tool to set the brake shoe? When I did my rear brakes(parking brake shoe) it didn't seem like a special tool was needed.
I'm not sure but i thought that was the best way so they work and don't drag. I have never adjusted them. With this you measure the ID of the drum and then adjust the OD of the shoes to .026 less than that. That's the method shown in the SM. You do this with the pedal adjustment slack and then afterwards you adjust the pedal. I just don't want to reinstall everything and then either have them making noise or not working. They've never worked. Have you ever adjusted yours?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a bit curious about this. The shop that did my rear brakes said that my cables are too stretched for the parking brake to work and that they should be replaced. But I see that the replacement cables don't have the adjustment screw/nut, so how does one make the cable adjustment? Is there some kind of adjustment on the pedal? Or is it just what it is?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit curious about this. The shop that did my rear brakes said that my cables are too stretched for the parking brake to work and that they should be replaced. But I see that the replacement cables don't have the adjustment screw/nut, so how does one make the cable adjustment? Is there some kind of adjustment on the pedal? Or is it just what it is?
The SM says to make sure the self-adjuster lockout pin has been removed which is discussed in the part about "disabling the parking brake automatic adjuster" pic enclosed. Then push the pedal to the floor 3x and release each time.

Attachments

• 9DCD4208-9815-4C28-8D56-21B81677C359.png
    9DCD4208-9815-4C28-8D56-21B81677C359.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 4B397B81-D17B-4B05-99F6-FE855C29C036.png
    4B397B81-D17B-4B05-99F6-FE855C29C036.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 7

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm not sure but i thought that was the best way so they work and don't drag. I have never adjusted them. With this you measure the ID of the drum and then adjust the OD of the shoes to .026 less than that. That's the method shown in the SM. You do this with the pedal adjustment slack and then afterwards you adjust the pedal. I just don't want to reinstall everything and then either have them making noise or not working. They've never worked. Have you ever adjusted yours?
Nope, mine doesn't even work. I did my rear brakes about 5 yrs ago, along with the rear parking shoe. I broke a bolt that holds the shoe in--because this is NJ--and I said Eff it! I don't need no stinkin' parking brake!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@Rocket Man
I would have responded but didn’t have time. Both times I did parking brake service on one of these. I set the rear shoes to be just static rubbing as I rotated the rotor. Both worked well and the ones on my current burb hold it on an incline by themselves in gear. They don’t drag or rub.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man
I would have responded but didn’t have time. Both times I did parking brake service on one of these. I set the rear shoes to be just static rubbing as I rotated the rotor. Both worked well and the ones on my current burb hold it on an incline by themselves in gear. They don’t drag or rub.
Did you release the cable like they show before adjusting them?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did you release the cable like they show before adjusting them?
Honestly I don't recall but I don't think I did. Can you post the rest of the procedure outlining what to do when your done?
I had no issues with mine and was sure the actuator levers were resting on the stops when I had the shoes out. my cables are taught and my self adjuster works good. Maybe they do that for safety since the cables are under spring tension.

All I know is my parking brakes work well.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't recall but I don't think I did. Can you post the rest of the procedure outlining what to do when your done?
I had no issues with mine and was sure the actuator levers were resting on the stops when I had the shoes out. my cables are taught and my self adjuster works good. Maybe they do that for safety since the cables are under spring tension.

All I know is my parking brakes work well.
All it says is to release the lockout on the cable and then step on and release the pedal 3 times.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
All it says is to release the lockout on the cable and then step on and release the pedal 3 times.
I assume that process is to help ensure the cables and levers all get set back to zero so the levers are at rest when the shoes are adjusted and then the cables slack is removed. I believe I did that on mu 03 because I replaced the backing plates too so I had everything apart. on the 13 I just did shoes and cleaned/lubed the adjusters.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume that process is to help ensure the cables and levers all get set back to zero so the levers are at rest when the shoes are adjusted and then the cables slack is removed. I believe I did that on mu 03 because I replaced the backing plates too so I had everything apart. on the 13 I just did shoes and cleaned/lubed the adjusters.
It says it has a parking brake pedal self-adjuster, that’s why you have to lock it out when serving the cable or shoes. That supposedly is how you get it to self-adjust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
racolson

Latest posts