Security Icon is Flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tedward

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my dashboard the security icon has been flashing on and off and I didnt really think anything about it. Well, last Friday after work, my car wouldnt start. I got it towed to my mechanic and he said that the security icon is probably not reading the key when I try to start it. He said I need to take it to a dealer and let them work on the computer. Has anyone ever had this experience and what did you do to fix it? Or any sugguestions? Its a 99 2door tahoe, Thanks!

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my dashboard the security icon has been flashing on and off and I didnt really think anything about it. Well, last Friday after work, my car wouldnt start. I got it towed to my mechanic and he said that the security icon is probably not reading the key when I try to start it. He said I need to take it to a dealer and let them work on the computer. Has anyone ever had this experience and what did you do to fix it? Or any sugguestions? Its a 99 2door tahoe, Thanks!

I dont think it actually reads the key, there is a resistance in the ignition switch that has to be seen. If it does not, it shuts off the fuel pump for 10 minutes.....tamper mode.

OP
OP
T

tedward

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
is there a way I can fix this problem or does the dealership need to do this?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is most likely the passlock in the ignition cylinder housing. You would have to take off the steering wheel and airbag, or get a passlock bypass.....you can google it.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAVE THE SAM ******* PROBLEM!

Bypass it sounds good! Will it **** up my aftermarket alarm?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAVE THE SAM ******* PROBLEM!

Bypass it sounds good! Will it **** up my aftermarket alarm?

My aftermarket alarm has the bypass!!! That is how I know about it.
Used for the remote start, since the key is not turned.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Most after market alarm come with bypass circuitry that can be wired in. There is also trouble codes associated with the security system. I would suggest having someone with the right scanner look for a problem. Would you like some symptom related diagnostic for the time been which might help?

tlamot01

Reaction score
Hey all, I definitely have this SECURITY / Passlock II issue as well on my 98 Yukon. My situation may be a bit more unique than others though. Hoping some of you can chime in on whether I even need to replace my sensor since it is already bypassed with a Directed Electronics module (part of my remote start installation).

This morning, I got the dreaded blinking SECURITY light and fuel cutoff indicating a bad Passkey II value sent to the computer. Despite all efforts, I could not get the truck started and had to hitch a ride to work.
About two months ago, I had tore down my remote starter and bypass module wiring. I confirmed that the ignition yellow wire had the same resistance value as my bypass module. I then proceeded with SOLDERING all connections, thinking my problem may have been related to faulty wiring.
The truck ran fine since then and I really believed I had resolved this. However, recently I'm being haunted by this.

So, my questions here are:
Is there any way to confirm without a doubt the resistance value the computer is programmed with outside of testing what the ignition switch has? Maybe I'm off a few ohms...
How does the ignition switch come into play when a bypass module is installed. Isn't that the point of having one - so you don't have to rely on the ignition switch anymore?
If my bypass module is 'dialed-in', why am I still getting a SECURITY light!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52