serpintene belt noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire105

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys question in regards to the 6.2 engine. i was wondering if its a common problem to have a squealing noise comming from what appears to be the serpintene belt or pulleys. Just recently bought an 08 denali with 68k and everything seems great on it but this noise just started appearing. Now that the weather will be getting warmer it will drive me crazy if i have to deal with this.

Is there a fix to this issue that you guys are aware of.......thanks

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard these trucks having that problem, but hey anything can go wrong with them. I would check the belt first, pulleys can go bad and are relatively cheap and easy fix if you know what your doing. And it sounds like you pin pointed out the problem.:)

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same squeak in my 08 Tahoe.

Buy a Goodyear Gatorback belt to replace the big one for sure and the smaller belt if you can find it. 100% solves the problem.

OP
OP
F

fire105

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will have to try the diffrent belt. I did narrow it down to the area but couldnt pin point if it was the belt or a pully which if it was a pully i dont know how you would be able to fine the pully that was squeaking....

Thanks for the advise....Anybody else have suggestions or is a belt replacement more than likley the fix

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the belt off you can spin the tensioner by hand to determine if it's the culprit. I have dealt with belt squeaks on a number of models. The Gatorback belt is made with these bendable sections and doesn't squeak or whine like stock belts.

booyaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had what I thought was a serpentine belt noise in my 2007 Tahoe. Turns out it was a tensioner pulley and water pump. Replaced water pump and tensioner that was damaged by water pump.
It was under warranty so I didn't pay anything for the fix.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its the belt you can just use some WD40 on it when running. If the squeal stops then its just your belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fire105

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So what im gathering if i can rotate the tensioner pulley when the engine is off then its the belt. If everything is tight then it could be a bad tensioner pully? If everything is tight could it still be a bad belt?

OP
OP
F

fire105

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well i checked everything out and the belt is tight against all the pullys. I guess the next step is to take the belt off the tenssion pully and manually rotate it to see if the squeek is there. I heard the ball bearings go bad in them which causes that type of noise. Does it sound like im on the right track? Im not the most mechanically inclined person lol. I learn as i go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkmarius