"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sucks...my new Tahoe was built last week. I sure as hell hope it doesn't happen when it gets here.

It is a programming error. When you get yours in. Engage the Auto4wd, turn the truck off. Then restart it and try to put it back into 2wd. If you get the message they can reset it before you take delivery. That way you will know if you have the problem or not.

Mileage does not matter with this issue. Its when you engage it and if you turn the truck off or not.

They will fix it. Heck, you got a new ride out of the deal.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a programming error. When you get yours in. Engage the Auto4wd, turn the truck off. Then restart it and try to put it back into 2wd. If you get the message they can reset it before you take delivery. That way you will know if you have the problem or not.

Mileage does not matter with this issue. Its when you engage it and if you turn the truck off or not.

They will fix it. Heck, you got a new ride out of the deal.
Bad news friend just text me and told me they are using the same transfer case in new build truck let see what happens with the 2015.5 . he works in Toledo power plant that is suck.
[emoji35]

OP
OP
S

SVL

Reaction score
Update

Have driven the truck 200 miles in Auto since the new software download - no sign of the "Service 4WD" message. However, I do still hear the high pitched electrical "pinging" type sound from the transmission switch while in Auto.

Will keep driving in Auto a bit longer to see if the fix is legit then eventually go back to service to get the noise remedied. Just another nuisance from my brand new $75,000 GMC vehicle.

:emotions133:

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have driven the truck 200 miles in Auto since the new software download - no sign of the "Service 4WD" message. However, I do still hear the high pitched electrical "pinging" type sound from the transmission switch while in Auto.

Will keep driving in Auto a bit longer to see if the fix is legit then eventually go back to service to get the noise remedied. Just another nuisance from my brand new $75,000 GMC vehicle.

:emotions133:

Well that's kinda good news.

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....I had the message come up on 9/2 and immediately went to the dealer. They reprogrammed everything and ensured me that was the needed fix. I drove off and everything seemed fine. I through the truck back in 2wd after a couple of days as I didn't see the need to be in auto all the time....

Fast forward to today.

We had severe rain and flooding this AM so I drove in Auto 4wd and I know it engaged because I hit some real shady spots. Came back out for lunch to the "SERVICE 4WD" message. I drove directly to my dealer and explained that for $70k i should be able to use my 4wd whenever i want without issue. This was the 2nd time in a little over a month and with winter and snow coming I don't feel confident in the truck. They assured me they would look into it and gave me a Yukon off the lot to drive for the day. I got a call an hour later and was sure they just reprogrammed again but this time they said the transfer cases SENSOR was bad and needed to be replaced. It won't be here till monday but they assured me this would fix it for good. We shall see

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think we have found a dealer yet that knows how to fix the 4x4 message. Seems like all dealers are just parts slingers now days.

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hope this works. I spoke to the GM this afternoon and he said that they aren't excited either I've been back so much for the same issue. I told him if they can't fix it he better have another twin truck ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
happens again
:hmmm2:

91f3e79a6ba738d0b63454c8662d08b4.jpg

DocHolliday

Reaction score
Well....I had the message come up on 9/2 and immediately went to the dealer. They reprogrammed everything and ensured me that was the needed fix. I drove off and everything seemed fine. I through the truck back in 2wd after a couple of days as I didn't see the need to be in auto all the time....

Fast forward to today.

We had severe rain and flooding this AM so I drove in Auto 4wd and I know it engaged because I hit some real shady spots. Came back out for lunch to the "SERVICE 4WD" message. I drove directly to my dealer and explained that for $70k i should be able to use my 4wd whenever i want without issue. This was the 2nd time in a little over a month and with winter and snow coming I don't feel confident in the truck. They assured me they would look into it and gave me a Yukon off the lot to drive for the day. I got a call an hour later and was sure they just reprogrammed again but this time they said the transfer cases SENSOR was bad and needed to be replaced. It won't be here till monday but they assured me this would fix it for good. We shall see

I don't believe the sensor is bad for a second. Im obviously guessing here but given the history of this issue I find it hard to believe you had a rouge bad sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo