"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountaingirl45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Service 4WD

I have a 2015 Tahoe I bought in March 2014. I have 8247 miles on it. I had driven on part paved and part dirt road yesterday while in auto wd. I parked it and left it in auto 4WD. I waited to see if it would go back to 2WD once I hit payment again and it never switched. I turned it to 2WD manually and it never kicked in and the "Service 4WD" came on. I had to drive 180 miles with it in 4H to get back home. Waited till this morning and the light was still on. It still is in 4H. Having to call dealer tomorrow.

PS - I already took it in for a recall on the transfer case 2 weeks ago.

:hmmm2:

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe I bought in March 2014. I have 8247 miles on it. I had driven on part paved and part dirt road yesterday while in auto wd. I parked it and left it in auto 4WD. I waited to see if it would go back to 2WD once I hit payment again and it never switched. I turned it to 2WD manually and it never kicked in and the "Service 4WD" came on. I had to drive 180 miles with it in 4H to get back home. Waited till this morning and the light was still on. It still is in 4H. Having to call dealer tomorrow.

PS - I already took it in for a recall on the transfer case 2 weeks ago.

:hmmm2:
This is a 10 minutes job or lt may less don't call just drive to the dealer they will relearn the transfer case in not time.
If they cannot do ,bring to any GMC dealer your car is under warranty.
[emoji102]

jemchicago

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Denali 4wd issue

I am having the same issues. Have had to bring in my new 2015 Denali twice so far. Finally they told me that there is no fix for this problem. Cannot use the AWD system. It's either 2wd or 4wd. One of the reasons I purchased this suv was for the AWD option. Now I am told not to use it. THe service manager told me that there is no fix. The Sales department told me that GMC is working on it? Who do I believe. I am so disappointed on such a beautiful truck.

There are a few threads in different areas of the forum regarding the "Service 4WD" issue that many of us are dealing with on our 2015 Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban trucks. To date, there is no fix available and owners are just being advised to drive their vehicles in 2WD mode until told otherwise.

This is a clear safety issue and I am discussing it with a well-known automotive weblog that will help get the word out to current and potential owners of these vehicles.

So...if you have experienced the "Service 4WD" issue please chime in briefly as I am curious just how many of us there are here (and on the way) and it will help with documentation.

Thank you,
Scott

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Please let me know if you hear anything from anyone. Having same issues.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issues. Have had to bring in my new 2015 Denali twice so far. Finally they told me that there is no fix for this problem. Cannot use the AWD system. It's either 2wd or 4wd. One of the reasons I purchased this suv was for the AWD option. Now I am told not to use it. THe service manager told me that there is no fix. The Sales department told me that GMC is working on it? Who do I believe. I am so disappointed on such a beautiful truck.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Please let me know if you hear anything from anyone. Having same issues.
Well have to call to fallow my GM claim they will fix or we want another car is the law.
I want to know if then rest of the guys are calling to GM too.

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well have to call to fallow my GM claim they will fix or we want another car is the law.
I want to know if then rest of the guys are calling to GM too.

I would call if it means getting a new vehicle that works. With no fix in line or found the 2015.5i wouldn't even be an option.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would call if it means getting a new vehicle that works. With no fix in line or found the 2015.5i wouldn't even be an option.
The idea is put GM under pressure this way they will fix or replace the transfer case.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW - it's not all of tthem . I've switched from auto to 2wd probably 100+ times without issue. I can't believe they can't figure this one out.