Should I replace the battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scarter

Reaction score
The TSB you want to reference(at least for the 07's) is 07033. This reflashes the BCM. If the dealership you go to never heard of a reflash, then you need to go to another dealer.

When you exit the vehicle, the BCM keeps much of the electrical system active for a period of 10 minutes. This includes power to the audio amplifiers. Occasionally, a glitch keeps the electrical system from shutting down. This will discharge the OEM battery completely in about 8 hours. I know because this has happened to me on numerous occasions. It happened enough that I carry a large set of jumper cables with me at all times. I had the reflash done, and it still happens once in a while.

If you're looking for a good starting battery, the Red Top is your guy. The Yellow Top is for deep discharge applications, but don't have the cranking power of a Red Top. Red Tops are made for short duration cranking applications, and are not meant to be run down. Doing so greatly shortens their life. But neither one will help you with this problem if you're away from your vehicle for an extended period like a typical work day. I run a Yellow Top in the second tray which is isolated from the starting battery. My OEM battery died in December, and I replaced it with a traditional Bosch flooded cell battery. The second battery gives me the ability to self jump if I need to, although it wasn't installed for that reason.

very, very useful info here...i live in a very rural area and am afraid our little dealership is just not up on things. this is helpful tho. thanks man.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yellow tops have more CCA (cold cranking amps) than the red tops, but if your not constantly draining your battery, the yellow top is not needed

True. A lot of people here (and the guy at the auto parts store) convinced me to go with Yellow, I didn't even know Red Top existed! My older brother's Tahoe has a red top, and his kids left the interior lights on in it for a few days and it started just fine.

kdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, everyone keeps chanting "get an Optima Yellow Top" to help with this problem. Would one of you who have installed one in a NNBS Tahoe or Yukon please post some pics of your install?

What size battery did you use? (they do not make a size 48)

Did you have to cut the positive cable ends and put on a new cable end/terminal since the original one is oddly shapped and tall?

Any prompt help with this would be greatly appreciated! I currently have my 2nd Delco battery dying in the past 8 months and I'm sick of it!

Thanks!!!

scarter

Reaction score
according to optimas website they do not make a battery that fits a 2007 tahoe. i looked it up by make and model and no hoe..trailblazer but no hoe.

yep kdawg i posted this awhile back but noone responded to it:shrug:

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The guys at the auto parts store that I bought mine at almost did not even try putting mine in because "it wouldn't fit", but the one they gave me was smaller than my stock battery! It dropped in just fine. I'll get some pictures tomorrow when I have a lot of light to work with.

I can get a few numbers off of it though, if you'd like.

BC Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, everyone keeps chanting "get an Optima Yellow Top" to help with this problem. Would one of you who have installed one in a NNBS Tahoe or Yukon please post some pics of your install?

What size battery did you use? (they do not make a size 48)

Did you have to cut the positive cable ends and put on a new cable end/terminal since the original one is oddly shapped and tall?

Any prompt help with this would be greatly appreciated! I currently have my 2nd Delco battery dying in the past 8 months and I'm sick of it!

Thanks!!!

Here you go :head3:

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

kdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the pics!!! Just picked up a yellow top and will be putting it in tonight! I really appreciate the help!

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy it at? They should have installed it for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkmarius