Slight whistle or whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it got pretty cold here, single digits. Went out to start my Tahoe and it made a nasty noise when starting, cannot exactly say what it was but it seemed "grumpy." It started right up but I am noticing a slight whistle or almost a little or few whines when I apply gas around the 1000-2000 RPM range. It is not constant, and just happens a couple of times in this range - just a few short whistles or whines. I replaced all the tensioners, belts, hoses, water pump, alternator last year. Kind of weirded out. The truck makes power fine and all the gauges read fine. Maybe it's just the cold weather? Not sure.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just replaced all my tensioners here 3 total on my 2002 Yukon and now i getting the same noises when is cold out i ordered 3 new ones going to try changing them out again and see what happens

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 03 Silverado makes a whistle if I am on the pedal pretty good sometimes, I think its just air in my case. it used to do it often but seems to have become less frequent now. I've never worried about it and doesn't seem to have ever affected anything.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after doing some research it cant be from the air..... i have seen bad pulleys or alternator is bad i will let you know what happens when i change out my pulleys and alternator

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought some belt dressing while on lunch break and it made no difference. All my stuff is newish, less than a year old. I am wondering if that hard start hurt a pulley or maybe the alternator. It seems to be charging okay and driving fine...maybe I should leave it alone? I could always try to replace the tensior again in the spring. I am just on the Dave Ramsey plan and spending money on belt dressing was dumb. Hopefully, it will clear up when it gets warmer, or whatever part is failing will get louder and I can replace it. You guys are always helpful, and if you have more suggestions keep them coming - really sincerely appreciate it!

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is frigid in WI right now... the other evening, -5 coming home. On start up, when it's super cold everything sounds off until the vehicle warms up. There's a fan in the back that drones for a minute or two and then it gets quieter and goes to normal. Only happens in the extreme cold. I don't worry about it because vehicle runs great in all other conditions. BTW, changed serpentine and A/C belts last week. All is quiet, but as a preventative measure, changing out drive belt tensioner and idler pulleys today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus