Small Coolant leak from hvac heater hose quick connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
Thankyou everyone for your recommendations. I remember @Geotrash telling me to replace these a little over a year ago after breaking one putting my engine cover back on after replacing the alternator.

This time I was doing injectors and checking my plugs and started seeping out before the firewall. I went and put another one on all seems well. For now that is. I drove it about 600 miles since and my coolant went down just a smidge after replacing and I topped it off.

My Tahoe just hit 147k miles. I’d like to keep her on top condition for many more years to come. Next replacement is going to be the trans cooler lines and auxiliary cooler line. And oil cooler lines also. They’re starting to seep from the crimp fittings.

Is it possible to redneck that job or better off to replace?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Neck it until you get OEM from Rock auto or Gruven. A trip to the plumbing store to grab some copper fittings and hose clamps will get u by.

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
Neck it until you get OEM from Rock auto or Gruven. A trip to the plumbing store to grab some copper fittings and hose clamps will get u by.
Sorry again for the late reply, my company just laid off 110 people and those of us left had to pick up some slack.

As of now they just appear to look wet. But I’m definitely going to get new oem ones from rock auto.

Going forward .. my truck has 4wd. Will I have to lower the front diff to feed the oil cooler lines through or will there be enough room with some wiggling ??

As far as the aux trans cooler. Instead of taking the bumper off. I plan to just take the passenger headlight out and grille

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced both T connectors and quick connectors on my 2001 back in 2017 before I went on a 3,000 mile road trip. I used the Dorman brand connectors from Rockauto. I just had to replace one of the quick connects again last year. I should probably replace the rest of them just to be proactive.

KC 2013 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ScottyBoy - The Dorman and other aftermarket connectors seep/leak, usually from the very start. The only connectors worth using are either the OEM GM Tee's or the metal ones from Gruven Parts. I've stuck with the OEM as they're so easy to swap out and readily available.
I replace the Tee's every 5-years along with new coolant and all the radiator, heater and various bypass hoses as preventative maintenance. Beyond 5-years the plastic Tee's aren't trustworthy. I live in Arizona with summer temps routinely above 110. Our Tahoe is my wife's daily driver and regularly commutes 30 miles daily, plus a 600-mile roundtrip across the desert in July heat from PHX to San Diego (I-8) for our annual summer vaction in Carlsbad. Have never had a broken/leaky tee or bad hose following this schedule.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ScottyBoy - The Dorman and other aftermarket connectors seep/leak, usually from the very start. The only connectors worth using are either the OEM GM Tee's or the metal ones from Gruven Parts. I've stuck with the OEM as they're so easy to swap out and readily available.
I replace the Tee's every 5-years along with new coolant and all the radiator, heater and various bypass hoses as preventative maintenance. Beyond 5-years the plastic Tee's aren't trustworthy. I live in Arizona with summer temps routinely above 110. Our Tahoe is my wife's daily driver and regularly commutes 30 miles daily, plus a 600-mile roundtrip across the desert in July heat from PHX to San Diego (I-8) for our annual summer vaction in Carlsbad. Have never had a broken/leaky tee or bad hose following this schedule.

Be sure to 'tag' the target of your response by typing his/her name starting with the "@" symbol, then select the right member from the dropdown list of members. Like this: @KC 2013 Tahoe (you will have an alert to view). That way an alert is sent to that user that he was tagged. I'll tag @ScottyBoy like this so he's aware of your prior post.

An alert is also sent if you "Reply" to his post like I did yours here.

Generally speaking, no tagging is needed if the poster is the Original Poster (OP). Hope that helps.

KC 2013 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Be sure to 'tag' the target of your response by typing his/her name starting with the "@" symbol, then select the right member from the dropdown list of members. Like this: @KC 2013 Tahoe (you will have an alert to view). That way an alert is sent to that user that he was tagged. I'll tag @ScottyBoy like this so he's aware of your prior post.

An alert is also sent if you "Reply" to his post like I did yours here.

Generally speaking, no tagging is needed if the poster is the Original Poster (OP). Hope that helps.
Thanks - Got it!
Kevin

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going forward .. my truck has 4wd. Will I have to lower the front diff to feed the oil cooler lines through or will there be enough room with some wiggling ??
Don't need to lower diff, just need a little room underneath to pull the line up from the backside.
Slowly snake the front two hose ends through where you need to pull it. Takes a little doing, but won't take long at all!

Cheap heater T's.. I went with SKP because they were in stock (and cheap).. planned from the start to replace with factory T's before long..
Have less than 2 years on them so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kraken1091V