sorry but need help again asap the tahoe is dead!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ottis

Reaction score
i just fixed my tahoe and now its dead again. this time its blowing the ign B fuse under the hood. It doesnt blow till i try to engage the starter, what could this be? I have a guess its either the starter relay or solenoid?? But need help!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
neither. that circuit should not pass any current on start only run or accy. if it blows the fuse only in start something is likely wrong in the ignition switch.

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
ok i think ill still take the starter in to be tested. when u say the ignition switch is that the key/lock cylinder?

joyride

Reaction score
I'd check some of the wiring near the starter as well, maybe something got caught/shorted out and/or fried on the exhaust...

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
yes the switch that connects to that. Is there anything else strange going on?

nothing else strange going on, it ran fine up until yesterday morning when the wife tried to start it and then nothing. when i turned the key the radio came on but, none of the guage lights didnt come on.

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
what lights specifically. It could help in narrowing the cause to be absolutely sure.

its all the lights on the cluster and guages i turn the key to run and all the lights come on but when i turn the key to start thats when the fuse pops and the lights go out.

I had the starter tested and everything was ok. could be the relay but doubt that.

I took your advice (sunlit) about the ignition switch but it requires 2 internal torx sockets that i dont have the smallest 1 i have is a E6 which is too big to unscrew the electrical connector from the steering column. any idea on what size or how to unscrew it? so im stuck

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
light and cluster gauges come from two different ip fuse black but eventually backtrack together in the IGN switch and by the time it reaches under the hood into one **** fuse. Should be the only 40AMP **** fuse in the relay/fuse panel.you know all those circuit eventually meet up in the switch.

I don't recall the size of the screws though sorry but be sure it is not the security type torx that has a pin in the screw head. even the tech data I have does not specify their size.

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
i figured out the size its a E4, but the top screw is in a tight place and cant get the socket on it. Im almost ready to give up on it but ill try 1 more weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100