Spring coil insulators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am rebuilding the front suspension on my 98 2WD Tahoe. When I took off the lower arm, there was a rubber insulator in a poor condition which sat between the arm and the bottom end of the spring. So I went online and ordered this part at advanceautpparts. The insulator on the picture looked different from the one I took off from the truck, but I was not sure that my old one was an original part. What I got looks like this. What makes me wonder is the position of this part: it is listed everywhere as FRONT UPPER. So my question is:
1) How many insulators does a coil spring on an OBS 2WD Chevy have?
2) If one - where does it go?
3) Is Moog k160045 a correct part?
Thank you for any ideas!

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, that is an isolator that goes on top and bottom of your spring to isolate the metal of the spring from rubbing, grinding, or making noise on the metal of the perch the spring sits in. Is it needed? Not really. Will it help a squeak when you're going over bumps? Maybe...

If that's not what you meant, then just disregard all this crap I said... lol

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is. So you say, there should be two of them per spring?

yup. Top and bottom if the metal spring is touching a metal spring perch or strut bottom of something metal

OP
OP
bredstein

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yup. Top and bottom if the metal spring is touching a metal spring perch or strut bottom of something metal

Makes perfect sense to me; now why does this diagram have only one (top) rubber insulator?

Attachments

• GC92163.jpg
    GC92163.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 12

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense to me; now why does this diagram have only one (top) rubber insulator?

cause your old school and probably didn't care about little creeps and noises. in 00 in the rear they put them on top and bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Open Road