SSVs (non badged z71) - who has them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gasser76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there,

Curious to know - who else has a SSV (Special Services Vehicle) Tahoe; the ones issued to Government agencies like Border Patrol and Forestry? Did they all come with the z71 package (minus the badges/exterior), the 4.10 rear limited slip, full front and transfer case skid plates? Of course, the comfort amenities are removed (like the leather, audio controls on steering wheel, etc). However, I do see some of the newer ones (2007+) that actually have some comforts added back in.

When I got mine (2005), it still had the wiring to the grill, rear and roof for lights and the antennas. I used one of the roof holes for my Sirius antenna ;-)

-graham

Last edited:

JustJake

Reaction score
I have a 08 ssv and the front skid plate is no joke, mine was an old border patrol and didn't have the steering wheel controls, center console or 3rd row. Mine was in pretty decent shape and I feel like I got a good deal on it. Now I can add my personal touches to make it mine

And mine came with 4.10s

I found a center consol jump seat taken out of a 2012 ppv for $50 and a 3rd row for $300, now I just need to find or buy the brackets to install the 3rd row

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gasser76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
...front skid plate is no joke ...

Yeah, it's pretty gnarly. I take mine to a near by oil change place and the guys always comment on it (that and the transfer case skid plate).

Sounds like then the 2007+ SSVs was very similar to the previous generation ones, like mine. I have only seen one newer generation one, I believe it was a 2007, and it had the audio controls on the steering wheel and a leather (maybe it was vinyl) middle seat. I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of the RPO codes on the glove box to get the full skinny.

Last edited:

JustJake

Reaction score
mine has cloth front and a leather 2nd row with vinal floor not a big deal to me since i have kids and it makes for an easy clean up of any mess they make!

OP
OP
G

gasser76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine has cloth front and a leather 2nd row with vinal floor not a big deal to me since i have kids and it makes for an easy clean up of any mess they make!

Gotcha. Mine has cloth for the front and 2nd row seats along w/ regular carpet floors. I hear ya on the mess kids leave behind!

The one thing I do wish it had was the factory fog light wiring as I am still contemplating on how to get "decent" looking fog lights installed and wired up.
Not sure if I am going to cut holes in the valance part of the bumper or just remove that plastic part and mount them back a bit.