Steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLTexas

Reaction score
I think there was a thread on this a while back. Took the Yukon in for it's first oil change and had them look at the steering for me. I was getting the 'popping' sound that i can hear and feel in the wheel when making turns from about the 10 or 2 o'clock position. After having my truck all day my dealer finally called and said they talked to GM and they will be replacing my steering column. Anyone else experiencing this?

CDallasAtor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been having this same issue for about 3 months now. Slightly irritating but hopefully nothing serious. Ill be taking it in sometime this month, so they're replacing your entire steering column? Did they say what may have caused this issue?

OP
OP
SLTexas

SLTexas

Reaction score
They called me late last night. The service advisor didn't really know if it was the entire steering column. I asked what may have caused it they really didn't have an answer for me. I'm gonna stop by today and talk to the technicians working on my truck. When it first started i was only hearing/feeling this little clunk, crack kind of sound in the steering when i turned left. Then it seemed to go away for a little while. Now it was happening in both directions and became irritating.

Sikbrah

Reaction score
Originally Santa Cruz, CA now in Los Banos, CA
I don't know if you see it but that's the steering shaft. You see the rubber boot on the bottoms and a bolt in the center and a rubber boot up too? Take the bolt out make sure someone is holding the steering wheel inside the car and once you take it off let the bottom steering shaft rest down then you take the top shaft and you basically jerk it up and down reluberacating the shaft inside and it should go away. Mine did also check it out in YouTube theres a guy that made a video on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
SLTexas

SLTexas

Reaction score
That seems like an easy fix. Dealer called said the part is in but I've been a little hesitant to take it back. Not sure if this is an updated drive shaft that will eliminate the problem or if it's the same part that will come back eventually. Just seems like something my truck with only 6,000 miles shouldn't be doing already?

Reaction score
Replace the steering gear bushing and inner tie rod boot clamp Have them look up Document ID: 2890493

hamd1719

Reaction score
Replace the steering gear bushing and inner tie rod boot clamp Have them look up Document ID: 2890493

Can u provide the official document so I can show my dealer I have no other dealer
I live Saudi Arabia:mad:

or anything official on this issue its killing me !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate