Steering System, bit of a clunk.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get a chance to take a pic of the crossmember, or post the link to where you saw instructions, I'd appreciate it! I also have a little clunk when turning, but I figured it was due for new ball joints and wheel bearings, so I'm going to start with replacing them.

So this cross member is not tight, but loosed up somehow, and the washers will take up space somehow?

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my quick and dirty research, it does appear that the front crossmember can cause this exact issue. There also seem to be two fixes...one being to enlarge the slots in the crossmember and the other being to add a 14mm ID washer. I'm not really sure which to do, but the easier of the two (washers) sounds more attractive. It might be worth checking to make sure the bolts are tight in the first place...

DO NOT DO THIS!!! Altough it was a TSB, the revised TSB is to add the washers. It was found out that the slotting made things worse.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT DO THIS!!! Altough it was a TSB, the revised TSB is to add the washers. It was found out that the slotting made things worse.

Thanks for the heads up. I was probably going to try the washer first. I believe you can do the bolts one at a time and add a washer without removing the crossbar.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keeping an eye on this thread.

Mine pops when I come off a curb with the wheel turned to one side. I assumed it was from lowering it. Ill be looking into it soon since I have to do some other front end work on my truck.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keeping an eye on this thread.

Mine pops when I come off a curb with the wheel turned to one side. I assumed it was from lowering it. Ill be looking into it soon since I have to do some other front end work on my truck.

i have a similar issue as well. its more of a click or pop than a clunk but none the less somethings moving that shouldnt, i dont have this issue on my 02 z71 so im wondering if this is a issue with the 2 wheel drives or just the tahoes. fwiw i was going to replace the ball joints when i install my lowering spindles

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a similar issue as well. its more of a click or pop than a clunk but none the less somethings moving that shouldnt, i dont have this issue on my 02 z71 so im wondering if this is a issue with the 2 wheel drives or just the tahoes. fwiw i was going to replace the ball joints when i install my lowering spindles

I need to replace my inner tie rods but that is the only bad parts on my front suspension. My noise sounds just like everyone is describing so I'm going to check out the crossmember bolts.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread, I'm new to the forum. Maybe the results are posted on another thread I haven't been able to find. Any way - my new-to-me 2006, 2WD, 100k miles has a clunking sound and slight feeling of clunkiness in the steering wheel noticeable when driving slow over some bumps seems like when making a slight turn. But I need to see if I can get the sound going straight. Sounds like coming from the front sus. or steering as others have mentioned. I'm going to look back under the front at the cross member situation and find other threads re. how to check various steering parts for play. I would agree that definitely this noise should not be there.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
its most likely the intermediate steering shaft. i didn't even replace mine, i "exercised" it and it has been fine for months now. Super easy, just make sure you lock down the steering wheel with the seatbelt, rope, duct tape or something so it doesn't move. There's plenty of discussion about this part and fixing or replacing it on here if you seach Intermediate steering shaft. Here's a link to show you what i did though, which cured the sound you seem to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W7TjXG_BAs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3