Stock 2021 towing drop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kutzro357

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 bone stock Tahoe RST 4x4. With my Silverado I used a 2" drop hitch for a boat.
I'm getting a cheap 5x8 utility trailer to tow behind the Tahoe. What drop do most use when towing with the 2021 Tahoe, I see so many mixed answers
Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think a stock Tahoe and a stock Silverado would have similar receiver heights. The 2” should work well. Especially since what you’re towing doesn’t weigh much.

K5-Z71

Reaction score
2” will not be level for standard trailers. Needs more like a 5” or 6”. Best to get an adjustable if you are unsure.

Trailer hitches are typically 16-19” from the ground.

You’ll get different answers because some people don’t know / care if their trailer is level, the trucks seem to come at slightly different heights from the factory and there are different suspension options for the same truck.

Tongue weight of the trailer will squat the truck, your hitch drop should take this into account so the trailer is level after being hitched. If you have adaptive suspension the truck will attempt to raise the rear end to keep the truck level which will also change the drop required.

I’ve got standard suspension with a 1” lift and am using a 6” drop hitch.

djnice

Reaction score
Right. You have to measure it. Mine is set at about 6" drop. The receiver is higher in the bumper than the pickup that are below the bumper. Stock suspension you probably need 4" drop.

BacDoc

Reaction score
K5-Z71 is right and he also mentioned adjustable hitch which is the best option. Even if you are only towing one trailer it usually takes hooking up and measuring. Eyeballing works but using a level is best. Rarely will you get it right first try. With my Tahoe it took a couple hook ups and the adjustable hitch made it a lot easier.

Here’s a picture of the adjustable hitch I got off Amazon that works well and it has a lock as well as 2”/2 1/2” ball.
Trailer is double torsion axle with 14” wheels. The boat and trailer are around 6,500 lbs. Tahoe has air suspension and the trailer infotainment is really nice for checking lights and trailer status.
IMG_1435.jpegIMG_0955.jpeg

The truck doesn’t matter it’s the balance of the truck and trailer that is important! Different trailers might require different drops but all will tow the best if level and balanced. I like to go slightly more than the recommended 10% tongue weight but a level trailer is the most important part.

iamlegion

Reaction score
I know Im getting old because despite seeing that beautiful truck and boat the first thing I think is “dang that’s a well loaded trailer.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnk71