Strike??? Thoughts, insights, predictions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When all is said and done, more auto jobs will probably go to Mexico where labor costs are far less…
And where a job working with your hands is not looked down on. I work with a youth program and while they're just kids you'd be surprised how kids now looks down at plumbing construction and automotive jobs. Mind you these are kids born with a short end of a stick in their bed through no fault of their own.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And where a job working with your hands is not looked down on. I work with a youth program and while they're just kids you'd be surprised how kids now looks down at plumbing construction and automotive jobs. Mind you these are kids born with a short end of a stick in their bed through no fault of their own.
I wouldn't say it's looked down upon. People just realize that physical work takes a toll on the mind and body. It's called back breaking work because it breaks your back. I did heavy line and I had to escape because it tears you up.

You can only do it for so much and so long and there isn't a net to catch you other than workers comp or disability and that's if you qualify and meager compared to an actual wage.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can remember that you went to apply for jobs that had good benefits, pension and insurance. And you would change jobs to get this result.
Thats what is going on with jobs that don't have those options to retain employees.
The big three are in this situation at present and some of the demands are in their interest.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thats the plant I worked at... and the union steward is about worthless. I imagine they have been replaced since then.

What makes it worse is that entire plant is falling down around their ears. But the union wants so much that GM "says" they cant afford to rebuild.

My oldest sister worked at the Wentzville plant, too, until she transferred to startup the new Saturn plant in Tennessee. She's been retired from there for quite a few years now.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I started as a mechanic, before we were called technicians, years ago and it was back breaking work. While it can still be ha*rd on the body, the physical strain is not as much. Now much better design in lifts and creepers and over engine creepers and removal equipment and less all round "get dirty" work, with module replacements and not rebuilding components in the shop. At 70 years old, I still do so much of my own work but if requires major effort under the vehicle or pulling a transmission or engine, I don't do it. If I had a lift and the proper under carriage support tools, I would do more. I feel like, as long as I have the desire to do the work, I will. Do I think I could do it for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 52 weeks a year? Depends on if I specialized in a certain area on the vehicle.

When I got out of the service, the local Ford Plant in Claycomo, Mo., north of the river in KC, Mo., offered me and other vets jobs but I turned it down. Did not want to do the same repetitive work day after day. My youngest brother has worked there now for close to 30+ years. He will retire from there within the next 5 years. Give me shop work any day, where every vehicle is a different challenge, instead of that repetition.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's looked down upon. People just realize that physical work takes a toll on the mind and body. It's called back breaking work because it breaks your back. I did heavy line and I had to escape because it tears you up.

You can only do it for so much and so long and there isn't a net to catch you other than workers comp or disability and that's if you qualify and meager compared to an actual wage.
Its def looked down on. While physical labor is hard work a trade in plumbing or auto maintenance can be a barrier from the financial constraints a lot of these kids are used to.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started as a mechanic, before we were called technicians, years ago and it was back breaking work. While it can still be ha*rd on the body, the physical strain is not as much. Now much better design in lifts and creepers and over engine creepers and removal equipment and less all round "get dirty" work, with module replacements and not rebuilding components in the shop. At 70 years old, I still do so much of my own work but if requires major effort under the vehicle or pulling a transmission or engine, I don't do it. If I had a lift and the proper under carriage support tools, I would do more. I feel like, as long as I have the desire to do the work, I will. Do I think I could do it for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 52 weeks a year? Depends on if I specialized in a certain area on the vehicle.

When I got out of the service, the local Ford Plant in Claycomo, Mo., north of the river in KC, Mo., offered me and other vets jobs but I turned it down. Did not want to do the same repetitive work day after day. My youngest brother has worked there now for close to 30+ years. He will retire from there within the next 5 years. Give me shop work any day, where every vehicle is a different challenge, instead of that repetition.
I'm not ancient and was working for gm as a tech specifically heavy line and transmission past the 2000s and we did not have body creepers or anything to help short of a transmission jack.

I'm in better than average Shape and it still would wear me out. It's back breaking work.

Domestics still rebuild engines transmissions differentials . You just don't rebuild the small stuff like alternators and such.

The pay is not commiserate with what you do. That's why it's funny how factory guys are on strike.

It's only looked down on in the sense that you possess so many skills but don't have any job security or guaranteed hours.

Same with the rest of the trades. No security and crappy pay relative to what you do.

Only way to make a living is to start your own company then take advantage of others labor while you manage it.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its def looked down on. While physical labor is hard work a trade in plumbing or auto maintenance can be a barrier from the financial constraints a lot of these kids are used to.
Electrician is the way. The rest doesn't pay for the amount of physical work you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate