Strong coolant smell coming from engine compartment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorCalBryan

Reaction score
Hey guys, after driving my 96 Yukon the other day, I noticed a strong odor of coolant after walking by the front of the vehicle.

I popped the hood, checked the upper and lower radiator hoses, and anywhere else in the engine compartment that deals with coolant and didn't see anything.

The exhaust smells fine, and the coolant level in the radiator appears to be okay as well.

The Yukon runs at a normal temperature and I don't feel any lack of power.

I'm pretty confused...the smell is DEFINITELY coolant, I have no doubt...but where the hell is it coming from?

Oh, and where is the damn overflow tank at?

Any ideas/suggestions?

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely its your Heater-Core. thats the only way for Coolant to be inside your engine compartment.

Reaction score
check your hoses that pass through the firewall to the heater core check the inlet housing diller mentioned or your intake man gasket pour a cup of water on the top of the intake man and watch for bubbles along the edges...

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Very likely the intake manifold gaskets - notorious for leaking on the vortec motor. If not the gaskets mentioned above or hoses/fittings, it could also be the heater core valve (passenger side at the frame/firewall).

FilthyHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What the **** is going on in this thread?!

No Shit... Stop eating stupid pills guys..... jeez

You have some sort of external coolant leak.

best to check these with a pressure tester,

but have a close look at all heater hoses, intake, waterpump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee