Stupid me is confused about a drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys!

been trying to figure this out for a long time it seems, haven't bought anything due to the fact I get in my head and don't want to end up wasting money on the wrong parts and figured there's no better group to ask then you guys here!

I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with Auto ride, I think the auto ride part is what's confusing me the most on this (I know a handful of people won't like to hear this plan, you are free to do whatever to yours as I am mine!)

Anyways, I have an 08 4x4 with autohide and I can't for the life of me feel confident on how to drop my tahoe or maybe its just not as possible as I thought it would be when I purchased.

I planned on doing the 3/5 drop when I purchased the Tahoe back in February, then once seeing there is some cutting to do to do anything past a 4 inch drop in the back it pushes me into feeling like im stuck going with a 2/4 drop. I have a local person that has done amazing work on other trucks that told me he could do the cutting but don't think he is aware mine has the auto ride. This actually has me looking at other options to build instead sadly, so hoping you guys can give me some tips or hear about your past experiences dropping a 4x4 with autoride.

I have not towed anything since I purchased as I don't want to put the stress on the transmission and have other vehicles to haul my boat and camper with. So needing to keep it a certain way to still pull things doesn't bother me.

Hit me with what you guys think is the best way to make a 3/5 drop work or if you think (out of experience) not the move and I should either stick out a plan to do the 2/4 drop or I should look into something else.

Appreciate all your guys help like usual! Been an insanely helpful group to solve a lot of headaches I come across.

Attachments

• 3FCA2D7D-770D-45F8-8207-58C6A3E37871.jpeg
    3FCA2D7D-770D-45F8-8207-58C6A3E37871.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 2

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s right about cutting for a 5” rear drop but it’s not a huge deal. Look on YT for videos of the free travel mod. Most would say if you go past 3 inches you should do it.

I did a 2/3 drop with front spindles and rear springs. When you say auto ride I think you’re talking about auto leveling out back.
If so it only requires adjusting your ride height sensor rods and adding shock extenders. Again, not a huge deal.

Other guys will chime in with their experience with different drop levels. There are plenty of rigs with 3/5 drops on here so don’t give up on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
councilman