subs behind the rear 1/4 panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got a '98 Tahoe and the first thing I want to do is put my stereo equipment back in. I miss my system. So I don't want a big box in the cargo area. I was thinking of using the rear 1/4 panel cavities. I've searched a lot and all I see are big boxes, under the rear seat and consol boxes. I have 2 JL's 10W6's and I want to get them in somewhat hidden. I know I will have to pretty much rebuild that 1/4 panel cover and it willl stick out more than the stock one, but better then a big box. I'll be doing sealed boxes anyways. Anyone seen this done?

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the pass side the rear a/c system is behind the plastic and the driver side is your jack and tire tools. If you want to get rid of all that anything can be done!

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything can be done once u set ur mind to it i did a set of 8s in the rear panels snd looked sounded great just depends on how good u want it good luck post pics

OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I'm not 100% sure I will do doing them there. I'm not big on just throwing a box together and toss it in the back. I need the rear a/c, but all the jack stuff I don't mind cutting out. I'm assuming that those who have looked at this thread haven't seen anyone do it before? I would like to see how other have done it. We'll see how much patience I have. I really want my stereo back. A box might be a temporary neccessary.

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
heres what i did to my 2 door.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 179
  • rear sub 02.JPG
    rear sub 02.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 185

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
sorry no other pics basicially measured the space thats back there, made that box and cut out the sheet metal behind the trim panel.after i got the box in there i attached the box to truck with some angle brackets then carefully cut the hole in the trim panel for the 10" sub. i got about .75 cu ft of air space

OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That something like I'd like to do, but I don't want to mess with the rear a/c stuff though. I think with keeping the 10w6's I'm going to have to build a box that will sit in the cargo space. Not ideal for me, but I'd rather keep the 10w6's then go to a sub that will fit under the rear seat. I loved the 10w6's in my last vehicle.

97srad750

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That something like I'd like to do, but I don't want to mess with the rear a/c stuff though. I think with keeping the 10w6's I'm going to have to build a box that will sit in the cargo space. Not ideal for me, but I'd rather keep the 10w6's then go to a sub that will fit under the rear seat. I loved the 10w6's in my last vehicle.

The 10w6's probably aren't going to sound as good as they did in the other vehicle. Of course I don't know the vehicle. I'm assuming it was something rear firing with appropriate airspace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHKSTR96