sunroof leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed today the sunroof leaks on the back seal area. its at the dealership now getting other warranty work done and this issue checked out. service guy said they all do that and that there is a drain channel inside for this reason. has anybody else had any experience with this?

wmgood64

BILL
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. I have an 08 tahoe and an 07 silverado and neither one of them leak!

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know about the new ones but I dont believe they should leak. I dont know of the drain either.

OP
OP
wheatswake

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i was just told it was normal and that there are drain tubes. dont know what to think honestly.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed today the sunroof leaks on the back seal area. its at the dealership now getting other warranty work done and this issue checked out. service guy said they all do that and that there is a drain channel inside for this reason. has anybody else had any experience with this?

As I understand it, there's a drain from the channel (down through the truck out out the bottom somewhere) that is supposed to drain off any water that collects in the drain channel. If it's leaking in the truck, then that drain line may be clogged. (The seal around the sunroof may also need to be replaced, but the drain line ought to be looked at, too.)

Either way, sounds like the tech gave you a stupid response to your problem.

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting about the drain channel. seems somewhat logical to what ive been curious about whats been going on with my truck after a rain. Usually the next day there is a little spot of dripping water coming from the side of the truck. its really weird but maybe the channels go to the side for it to drain. its not a long drip but the ground it usually still wet in the same spot. maybe its just me :)

OP
OP
wheatswake

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does not leak into the cabin part of the truck. it just leaks past the seal and falls into the drain channel. drain tubes were said to be clear. wondering if this is normal or do i really need a new seal ? being that there is even a drain channel there, it seems like it would be a common issue.

Harry Seaward

Reaction score
Sunroofs leak. Mine does too. The gasket around the opening is really there for wind noise, and to reduce the volume of water coming in to a managable rate. There are troughs under the drip line to channel the water down and out of the interior. If you check the troughs on a rainy day, you'll find they're wet; perfectly normal. If you've ever looked at an aftermarket sunroof (do they still exist) it had a neoprene gasket that overlaped the opening. This kept the water from entering the "hole" (albeit poorly) because the vehicle didn't come with troughs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate