Tahoe A/C Temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently had my 99 Tahoe's A/C serviced (replaced 2 shrader valves and add 2.75lbs of freon).

It takes about 5-10 minutes to get to 40 degrees (F) when the outside temp is between 90-100 and it will only get down to between 50-60 on max air when the outside temp is over 100. Is this normal, or what should the vents be blowing temp wise?

Also, I cleaned the evap and blower motor when I got it home, no improvement. I do have rear a/c in the tahoe and was wondering if the shop, or I, should add more freon and what the freon capacity for my truck is. Thanks!

Broken Truck

Reaction score
If you have the c69 rear option, the fill is 4.0 lbs.

Given 100F outside you may only get about 50F out of the vent. This is 134a afterall.....

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm, I do have the rear a/c option but looking on the freon container under the hood on the firewall, it says 2lbs for tahoe/yukon and 3lbs for suburban...

Broken Truck

Reaction score
hmmmm, I do have the rear a/c option but looking on the freon container under the hood on the firewall, it says 2lbs for tahoe/yukon and 3lbs for suburban...

Yep...I have the same sticker. But when those trucks have the rear air they take more. Would have been nice if they matched the sticker info to the actual system in the truck but often (if at all) they didn't.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as our trucks get older...even any other car. We tell people A/C is cold enough as long as you feel that way. Who the *** drives round with the car 40 degress?

You how many ***** members had that problem? 40 to 50 degree A/C temps in this ***** summer heat.

My Balls are cooled by the pool of sweat they sit in while driving. As if Females don't complain and nag as it is, I wanna slam my GFs head into the dashboard as she complains EVERY ***** time that its to hot etc etc and she knows it. Drives brand new ***** Murano!

love you

super jealous!

ff40!

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this thread when someone mentioned that I do not have enough freon. Mine has 2.75lbs but the a.c sucks. Pressure is 35/235 @ 1500 rpm's so I didnt think the freon level was low. I seen several threads on other sites and they say 4lbs. WTF is the correct capacity? I would hate to blow up the compressor!!!!!

Can I add a 16oz can of 134 or would it be colder/better if the evacuate, vaccum and recharge?

Also how can I add oil to my system?

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

BTW what is a shrader valve? Well I just seen a picture but what do they do and where do they go?

I just googled it but a little uncertain.....please dont tell me that these go into the valves that are attached to the low and high side lines near the a/c compressor?? Cause one of mine were leaking and I was forced to replace the main hose.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
per Alldata for a '99:

REFRIGERANT CAPACITY

Refrigerant R-134a, with C60 2.0 lb (0.91 kg)
Refrigerant R-134a, Four Door Utility with C69 2.75 lb (1.25 kg)
Refrigerant R-134a, Suburban with C69 3.5 lb (1.59 kg) NOTE: C60 = Front Air Conditioning. C69 = Rear Air Conditioning

POLYALKALINE GLYCOL (PAG) REFRIGERANT OIL SYSTEM CAPACITY

Front Air Conditioning RPO C60 8.0 fl. oz. (240 ml)
Front & Rear Air Conditioning RPO C69 11 fl. oz. (330 ml)

Oil is normally added when needed by replacing what you poured out of a removed device. Your refill cans may also a a ratio'ed mixture in it to compensate for the oil lost in leaks that you are trying to top off.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Shrader valve functions like your tire valve but you still need to cap it afterwards. The valve cores are replaceable just like a tire valve core you just need to search the stores and web for an a/c valve core for r134a.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Btw 4 door with no rear a/c should be 2.25 lbs at least on the '96 which sould all be the same. I would assume the 2 pounder is for two door units.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Are you having a nervous breakdown yet?:)

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nervous breakdown??? You think??? This is why my screen name is Stresst! LMAO

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you didn't run a vacuum pump on your AC system before refilling it then that can be your problem. You need to vacuum it for at least 30-45 minutes to get ALL the moisture out of the system. If there is even the least amount of moisture in there then it will cool nowhere near as cold as it should. I just went down this same road with my Suburban. I did tons of research before replacing my compressor and everything myself. I had to find a guy with a vacuum pump to recharge it for me. And mine took 3lbs. so 2.75 on a Tahoe sounds about right. The only real difference between a Tahoe and a Burban both with rear air is the AC lines on the Burban are a little longer so it makes sense that it would need another 1/4 lb.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Nervous breakdown??? You think??? This is why my screen name is Stresst! LMAO

Maybe you should consider seeking some hypnotic therapy.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

AThe only real difference between a Tahoe and a Burban both with rear air is the AC lines on the Burban are a little longer so it makes sense that it would need another 1/4 lb.

And weather or not the Tahoe had rear a/c installed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms