Tahoe Cabin Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Step 1 completed: I heated a razor blade over and over at the end of a razor knife and sliced the opening for the filters to go in. Just kept the razor knife lined up so nothing inside could get cut. Nothing got cut and I would have had a hard time cutting anything even if I had not kept the razor knife lined up. That went way too smooth, so I must have done something wrong. Looks like lots of room for the filters to go in. Now all I have to do is try and figure out what filters will work best. Hum.

:grd:

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Imagine GM in the central air/heating business, and after GM installs the equipment in a house, the home owner calls Customer Service complaining about all the dust circulating in the air as the air conditioner or heater is running. The home owner tells the Customer Service person that nothing can be found in the owner's manual about where the filter/filters go. Then the Customer Service person tells the home owner that no filter/filters are needed because GM didn't bother to install any to begin with. :shrug:

The stupidity of those at GM who made the decision to drop the cabin air filters in a Tahoe allows me to bestow a belated Dumb-Ass Award to those unnamed nitwits. :badidea: :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You need 2 filters (it may come in a pack of 2?). Buy the filters for a 2000 Yukon, or for a 2000 trailblazer.

Dale

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Step 2 completed: I purchased an STP CAF1707 cabin air filter (2 filters in the box, both are needed, and don't ask me why STP doesn't add an "s" after "filter" on the large label on the box!) from AutoZoine for $14.99 plus tax. I saw the CAF1707 mentioned in numerous other Internet posts, along with a few posters saying it was an exact match size-wise with the GM OEM filter. I don't know if that is true or not. I do know that the width -- 5.45" -- is just barely too wide from my point of view. The length is 9.37", which is perfect, as a tiny amount of space is unused. The thickness is .86" and that's pushing things again from my point of view when it comes to getting the filters inside the opening I made.

I also ordered a Bosch C3730 cabin air filter (2 filters in the box, both are needed, and don't ask me why Bosch doesn't add an "s" after "filter" on the large label on the box! ) through Amazon.com for $39.45. It has activated charcoal attached to it. It's width is 5.24", which will be close to perfect. It's height is 9.39", which is perfect also. Try as I might, I never could find it's thickness; if it's greater than .86", I'm not going to be a happy camper. I'll make a post after I receive it.

I still remember the day I picked up my then brand new 2010 Tahoe and drove it a short distance back to Lubbock, Texas in May 2010. That damn dust and other floating crap inside the Tahoe was visible to me as the air conditioner was running. You worthless idiot GM bozos who cheaped out by removing cabin air filters after 2002, I believe, deserve to have your butts kicked. Come on down to Lubbock, Texas and I'll put on my boots to give you the kick you deserve. :fca5278d:

Step 3 complete: A 1/8" X 1" three-foot piece of aluminum was purchased from Lowe's Home Centers. Just over one foot of that amount was cut off and used to cover the bottom of the filter housing. Some 3/8" foam weatherstripping was attached to one side of the aluminum cover. A hole was drilled in one end of aluminum cover so a screw could be used to attach it to the proper attachment point on the Tahoe (after snipping a small amount of the attachment point to make it flush with the bottom of the filter area) , with the other end of the aluminum cover pushed through a slot at the firewall end on the bottom of the filter housing. Everything is snug and sealed.

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Update on my 10-23-11 post immediately above this one: The Bosch C3730 cabin air filter (2 filters in the box, both are needed, and don't ask me why Bosch doesn't add an "s" after "filter" on the large label on the box!), are a little thicker than the STP CAF1707 cabin air filter (2 filters in the box, both are needed, and don't ask me why STP doesn't add an "s" after "filter" on the large label on the box!). However, the frame of the Bosch C3730 cabin air filter is much stiffer than the STP CAF1707 cabin air filter, so the Bosch slides in much, much, much easier! I won't be buying the STP CAF1707 cabin air filter in the future. The Bosch is a better product in my not-so-humble opinion.

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM definitely screwed up by leaving them out. I don't even think the Escalade has one and they are definitely considered luxury SUVs. My 4 year old Impala SS has one and it definitely is not luxury.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I've seen enough posts on the Internet to conclude that it was a financial decision to save a dollar here and a dollar there -- dump the filters -- and to hell with the customer while raising the price of the product tens of thousands of dollars. Cheap GM SOBs.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I think GM promoted the dimwit managers who dumped the cabin air filters and put them in charge of OnStar and their "navigation" system. :think:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen enough posts on the Internet to conclude that it was a financial decision to save a dollar here and a dollar there -- dump the filters -- and to hell with the customer while raising the price of the product tens of thousands of dollars. Cheap GM SOBs.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I think GM promoted the dimwit managers who dumped the cabin air filters and put them in charge of OnStar and their "navigation" system. :think:

hahaha so true

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I enjoy reading updates on topics, so I'll enjoy reading my post in a few moments. :think:

It is so nice to not have to use the thirty-two flypaper sticky sheets I used to have hanging in the Tahoe to catch large particles drifting around the interor of the Tahoe. It's amazing what proper filtration can do.

General Motors, why don't you spend a little more time on the basics, O.K.? :Insane:

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously need this. There is a mold smell when I turn my AC on. I thought it was just my truck but I guess its common. I can't seem to open the pdf. I'll try it at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshwas4here