Tahoe Constraints Update - 2/10/22

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@selectsplat thanks for publishing the constraints like you have been, it's extremely helpful!

I'd imagine I'm in the same boat as many, trying to take advantage of the high used trade in values and ordering new. I've literally never considered building a vehicle in my life, so this is all new territory for me.

A couple of the local dealers here have an offer that they'll hold your trade in appraisal value for 6 months while your new vehicle is being built to try to offset the concerns over these delays. It was enough to peak my interest and pursue a '22 Tahoe Z71 in satin steel, pano roof, max trailer. I'm Ok dropping max trailer but won't go through with the order if it's not a Z71 and would really like the roof (after selling my t-tops trans am this summer it would help ease that pain).

Here's where I could use some help. Dealer tells me the Z71 and pano are constrained and there's no way for the max trailer any time soon, makes sense with what I'm seeing here as well. They said the "order won't be accepted by production until the restrictions are lifted." I saw another post by a member recently who just placed an order and is making almost immediate progress on this same build. Does this mean they got lucky (won the lottery) AND their dealer had an allocation to build it? Reading between the lines with my dealers statement that the restrictions have to be lifted to make any progress, I assume that means they have zero allocations left to build my configuration but they could build say an RST that isn't constrained? I did ask and didn't get a clear answer, so can ask the dealer more directly but want to make sure I understand the process. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I'm 50/50 whether to keep chasing this dream or throw in the towel and wait for things to normalize down the road and search for a newer used vehicle like I normally would. Used car values come down (and I think they're starting to at least in small increments), so does my trade, so feels like now or never for this new build thing for me...

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about trying to find an in stock unit at a dealer? It might require some travelling or a shipping charge, but searching from ~ the middle of the country (Kansas City, KS) for Tahoe Z71's in Satin Steel shows there's 182 exact matches. Not sure how many of those have pano roof or max trailering, but You could go through them and look at the window stickers. If you find the one you like, take the next step.

As far as ordering a unit with constraints, you're at the mercy of your dealer's allocations. Some get more than others and I doubt they want to tell you how many they have, because if it's not many, then you're likely to take your business elsewhere. It is a bit of a lottery, but the higher volume dealers will get more allocations than the smaller ones, so keep that in mind. Even if you order a truck w/o anything on constraint, you still need that dealer to have an allocation. You might want to ask them where you're at in their "line of orders." If there's 5 other people ahead of you, but all of their orders have constraints, then they might give you one of their allocations if your order doesn't have any constraints.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about trying to find an in stock unit at a dealer? It might require some travelling or a shipping charge, but searching from ~ the middle of the country (Kansas City, KS) for Tahoe Z71's in Satin Steel shows there's 182 exact matches. Not sure how many of those have pano roof or max trailering, but You could go through them and look at the window stickers. If you find the one you like, take the next step.

As far as ordering a unit with constraints, you're at the mercy of your dealer's allocations. Some get more than others and I doubt they want to tell you how many they have, because if it's not many, then you're likely to take your business elsewhere. It is a bit of a lottery, but the higher volume dealers will get more allocations than the smaller ones, so keep that in mind. Even if you order a truck w/o anything on constraint, you still need that dealer to have an allocation. You might want to ask them where you're at in their "line of orders." If there's 5 other people ahead of you, but all of their orders have constraints, then they might give you one of their allocations if your order doesn't have any constraints.
Thanks for the info, I have searched for stock within a couple hundred miles (I'm in Buffalo, NY) but haven't found one yet. I seem to be an odd duck in that I want 2nd row bench as well, have 3 kids and for road trips we need all the cargo space we can get. Seems 95% of the new Tahoe's, aside from LS's, have the 2nd row buckets. Local dealer is selling at MSRP and accepting GMS discount, so have that going too.

Figured they'd be reluctant to share their allocations for that reason, thanks for confirming I more or less understand the process. I'll try to get more specific with my questions. Thanks again!

TallDad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time lurker here, thank you all for the great information you post on these boards.

I had deposits with several dealers since December for a Duramax Yukon XL Denali with the ultimate package. As many here, getting information on allocations and constraints from any of the salespeople was… laborious. Only one of the 3 acknowledged the ultimate package was no longer available for the model year when GM announced it.

That one dealer called me yesterday to say they had an allocation, but I needed to forget the diesel (I was expecting that) and that they would not get an allocation for Advanced Technology Package (CWN), Premium Capability Package with Active Response 4WD (Z6E), or (NHT) Max Trailering Package probably until the spring.

They said some of the options from the packages were not on constraint and that they could frankenbuild me a truck:

-Order me just the F47 air suspension from Z6E, the current constraint being the G96 eLSD;

-Order me just the pro grade trailering system ZL6 from NHT, the current constraint being the VO3 extra capacity cooling system.

No problem getting the wheels, sunroof and retractable sidesteps. Interestingly, they said the sliding console was accepted in the order. (I confirmed on the GM site the order was indeed accepted by GM).

They said they expected a late March early April TPW, I accepted – tired of waiting (waited 3 years for a Rivian and 4 months for an expedition – for which I just cancelled my order after getting a build date “maybe” in late April).

Anyone else here had an order picked up by GM with truncated packages? I am hoping I will get a nice surprise and that they might build it up to normal packages if the parts end up being available, any chance of that?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
selectsplat

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time lurker here, thank you all for the great information you post on these boards.

I had deposits with several dealers since December for a Duramax Yukon XL Denali with the ultimate package. As many here, getting information on allocations and constraints from any of the salespeople was… laborious. Only one of the 3 acknowledged the ultimate package was no longer available for the model year when GM announced it.

That one dealer called me yesterday to say they had an allocation, but I needed to forget the diesel (I was expecting that) and that they would not get an allocation for Advanced Technology Package (CWN), Premium Capability Package with Active Response 4WD (Z6E), or (NHT) Max Trailering Package probably until the spring.

They said some of the options from the packages were not on constraint and that they could frankenbuild me a truck:

-Order me just the F47 air suspension from Z6E, the current constraint being the G96 eLSD;

-Order me just the pro grade trailering system ZL6 from NHT, the current constraint being the VO3 extra capacity cooling system.

No problem getting the wheels, sunroof and retractable sidesteps. Interestingly, they said the sliding console was accepted in the order. (I confirmed on the GM site the order was indeed accepted by GM).

They said they expected a late March early April TPW, I accepted – tired of waiting (waited 3 years for a Rivian and 4 months for an expedition – for which I just cancelled my order after getting a build date “maybe” in late April).

Anyone else here had an order picked up by GM with truncated packages? I am hoping I will get a nice surprise and that they might build it up to normal packages if the parts end up being available, any chance of that?

Thanks in advance!constraints are lifted

Thanks in advance!
I changed my order from an RST to a High Country because I wanted the 6.2. Sadly, I had to remove the sunroof to get it accepted. Now it’s a basic high country with no other option, and the removed sunroof.

I asked if the sunroof came off constraint, if they can add it to my order. They said yes, but it would push the TPD out at least another 3-4 weeks. But, after waiting for 4 months already, I don’t really care about the sunroof enough to wait longer.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody is in a different situation for sure.

We ordered a base AT4 in early december with the tech package and rear media. No movement on that order and probably not anytime soon (no deposit on this one)

Went to another dealer that had a refundable deposit and ordered a Z71 the first week of Jan - same story, pretty basic - only added the luxury package and buckets.

Two weeks ago stopped by the first dealer and they had several RSTs that they had just ordered a few days earlier as stock units so claimed one of them - TPW mid march

Found out early this week that the Z71 had been picked up with a TPW of mid april after messaging online with Chevy - surprised the dealer hasn't said anything

plan on just seeing how it all plays out

One dealer is accepting supplier discount and the other is MSRP - neither with add-ons.

I checked within a 500 mile range for about a month and found several Z71 tahoes that weren't sold, lowest markup was $4k and highest was $10k

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize that a different fleet but could be a sign of hope inventory wise……

Yestreday took a quick scan of the nearest Buick/GMC dealer nearest my home and even nearest the Arlington Plant. I saw about a little over a dozen Sierras on the lot. Retail sale available, not Fleet, presold, etc…. I was more of less a quick scan to see if Yukons were on lot and was basically killing time until the credit union opened at 0900. The interesting part is been checking that dealer off and on since about mid 2020 waiting for some early build 2021 Yukon models.

The other interesting point ways I saw moare new Sierras available for retail sale available yesterday in that one lot than probably the entire last 18 months.

Also noticed that the Ford dealer was filling up with new models. Mainly F150’s but concept of showing inventory coming in. Even with constraints and equipment/package variables showing the new inventory is starting to slowly come around.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a dealer reach out yesterday, one I had inquired about a sold Tahoe in transit…said they had 5 Tahoes that were accepted as stock inventory, LT, high country, RST and a Z71…all at sticker with no add-ons. If i didnt Already have two with a TPW I’d had probably put down for the RST. Anybody within Driving distance of St. Louis I’ll PM the dealer info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pnut