Tahoe Drives in neutral!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fallen101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My brother took out my 2002 Tahoe while I was at work in my Camry.

I took my Tahoe out this morning and on my way out it started making a howling sound. Noticed the Tahoe was in Auto 4WD!! Switch it into 2Low and drove just fine, so it seemed, planned on investigating more after school. I drove it in the grass on auto 4WD, still made that noise. Put it in 4WH HI still made the noise. Put it into 4 Low and the back wheels it seemed wanted to jump MUCH quicker than the front wheels.... Now I know you shouldn't use 4low unless you're in mud or something, but I needed to check...

My next test was to test if it shifted into neutral (it did) However when I shifted back into 2Low I heard a loud CLUNK. Drove it a bit, then shifted back into neutral to check the sound again still did it. Just for the hell of it I wanted to check/see what it would do if I shifted it into drive, it drove just fine (only for like 5-10 feet then I stopped and shifted into 2low..

Any Idea's what's causing this. I read it could be wheel bearings, as well as the transfer case... Any help would be greatly apperated.

OP
OP
F

fallen101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: I believe its the front left wheels U-joint. When I jacked it up when I rotated the front left the wheel/joint made a clunk sound.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean wheel bearing? or balljoints? Only u-joints on there are for your driveshafts.

OP
OP
F

fallen101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're probably right. It seems like the noise comes from the metal body. uploadfromtaptalk1393437743560.jpg

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's your front diff. Is it coming out of the diff or the drive shaft part?

OP
OP
F

fallen101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think the front differential, of I remember correctly it was only coming out the left half while the tire moved. I'll check when I get home at about three.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Also that oil should I be worried, it was also on the rears dif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3