Tapping into headlight wiring for fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nosho47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was going to buy the complete fog light assembly but someone suggested doing it a different way. A guy told me to buy the fog light housing and tap into the headlight wires. I have a HID kit with relay installed to that would have the other connector open. I was going to use my other relay to tap into the open connection and wire up another HiD. Do you guys think that would be a good idea?

onelovechicago

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im no expert but the initial jolt to power up your ballast on a single set it enough to mess things up, its not common but is possible so having two sets of hids wired to your headlights may over do it. just my 2cents

Last edited:

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
Thats what i did on my z71 factory foglights worked out great because the switch broke and didnt wanna search america for a new one

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
N

Nosho47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else that have done this? I have a relay kit for the fogs for my HID's so wouldn't that work along with adding a higher amp fuse to it?

AydanGreen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know much about it but one thing you should do is use different relay and if you will tap it into headlight wire your headlight might give problem.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I did the same thing for my nnbs to make my fogs automatic

OP
OP
N

Nosho47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this site along with Tahoe's... I just bought a 09 tahoe so I don't know what Nnbs mean...

Blazed - have you had any problems after you installed it? My other option would be to run a seperate switch and a relay but I would also want to have the fog lights turn on the same time as my headlights.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Nbs -2000-2006
Nnbs 2007-present
Stands for new new body style
And I have always had problems with HIDs on relay harnesses sometimes it would misfire and not ignite the HID but all I had to do was turn the lights off and on to solve it. Once all four lights were on(only one of the lights ever misfired) I had no issues keeping them on. No flickering or anything.
The occasional misfire was worth the auto fogs. I wouldn't tap your actual headlight wire but maybe tap the headlight relay wire instead.

OP
OP
N

Nosho47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its not a good idea to tap into the open h11 connector for the headlights with the hid relay kit?? I just want to be sure

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
My headlight wire is tapped for my halos n no problem and im running hids. Its up to you but i havmt had a problem.with mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
res51cue

Latest posts