Tapping into headlight wiring for fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size wire are you tapping into and what is the amperage draw for both kits? Depending on the size wire and amperage draw, it can over load the wire causing excessive heat (potential fire). For example, a copper size #14 wire at 60 deg F has a recommended loading of 25 amps (but the overcurrent protection should not exceed 15 amps).

Or are you using that wire to turn on the fog relay?

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
It doesn't matter tho because he is running relays he just needs the signal to trigger the relay!
It would have a fuse

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter tho because he is running relays he just needs the signal to trigger the relay!
It would have a fuse

Hopefully he is running it that way. Just got a little mixed up reading through the responses.

The OP indicating tapping into the open h11 connector and this numbering does not match pin out numbers for typical relays.

OP
OP
N

Nosho47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still haven't touched it yet because I am confused on if it will work or not... This is what I have

I am currently running a HID relay for my HiD's which means I have the extra H11 connector open on the drivers side.

If I tap into the open h11 connector which is on the drivers side with another HID relay (which does have a fuse) and wire (16awg) that up with to my HID for my fogs, will I have any issues with it or anything down the line? And since it will be connected to the h11, it will have a signal going to the fogs lights which would turn on the same time as when the headlights turn on correct?

Last edited:

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still haven't touched it yet because I am confused on if it will work or not... This is what I have

I am currently running a HID relay for my HiD's which means I have the extra H11 connector open on the drivers side.

If I tap into the open h11 connector which is on the drivers side with another HID relay (which does have a fuse) and wire (16awg) that up with to my HID for my fogs, will I have any issues with it or anything down the line? And since it will be connected to the h11, it will have a signal going to the fogs lights which would turn on the same time as when the headlights turn on correct?

That should work fine. That way the relay harness is pulling from the battery for power, the stock headlight plug is triggering the relay to send power when the headlights are turned on which will in turn power on the fogs at the same time. I see no reason why this won't work.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should work fine. That way the relay harness is pulling from the battery for power, the stock headlight plug is triggering the relay to send power when the headlights are turned on which will in turn power on the fogs at the same time. I see no reason why this won't work.

As long as you are connecting the HID fogs the way VT described above that should work. But do you know which connector on the fog relay is the trigger switch? Usually those relays are sealed and not labled (at least on DDM). Also make sure those kits are properly grounded.

OP
OP
N

Nosho47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked up the fog lights with the HID's the way I said I would and it works perfect... The only thing that is bothering me now is that the fog light housing gets a bit hot... I think I may just install a switch to turn it off since it turns on the same time as the headlights.

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked up the fog lights with the HID's the way I said I would and it works perfect... The only thing that is bothering me now is that the fog light housing gets a bit hot... I think I may just install a switch to turn it off since it turns on the same time as the headlights.

Drill out the vent hole that's already on the housing (covered by a sticker). I did 1/4", then drill another hole at the bottom at the low point to let any water that may get in there drain out. No issues with heat since doing this for me, 35W DDM kit in mine.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Swear I'm the one who did that first lol
But yes do what he said drill holes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen_313

Latest posts