There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
!986 Nissan trucks do not rust away in Oregon. No salt on roads.

Today: Replaced the idler arm, packed front bearings and replaced seals, replaced valve cover gasket and cleaned carb, replaced wipers and retention arms and replaced the radiator cap. Road tested and verified no leaks and verified handling and brakes and clutch operation. Made sure he road tested it to get used to brakes.

I had 10 hours in it at $80 and hour. I gave him his military discount of $70 an hour.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

I am no where near your age at 47, I wish I had the ability to work like you do.

My "old" body is just falling apart.

Keep up the good work/fight.

I miss turning wrenches. It was calming for me, and gave me an escape from the wife/kids/life.

Cant do that anymore.
There are some things I can't do as well as I used to be able to but my ability to turn wrenches, just seems to have no physical limitations, yet.

I see it as a way to stay active and also pocket some reward after it is all done.

My girl frets over me doing it. When I am under vehicles, especially with the vehicle up high on 4 jacks stands, she stays close. It is a PITA to crawl out and get tools, especially if there are multiple trips. I keep threatening her that I am gonna get her a shop coat that says, "Shop Assistant" and her name. I also told her I am gonna have classes about memorizing tool names and locations in the 2 tool boxes/cart.

After the last job, 1986 Nissan pickup, of 10+ hours over 2 days, I am a little stiff but if I had another vehicle to work on, the kinks/stiffness go away within 15 minutes.

I have all these thousands of $ worth of tools and cannot just let them sit. I think if I stopped and sold them, I would not be long for this world. Dirt nap time.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Today, I worked on my American Legion friend's 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser. First oil change since the major work we did in December with timing chain and guides and tensioners and water pump and timing cover oil leak repair....was a major job. I did the oil and filter change and put in 2 new headlamp bulbs and tracked him down some Army/Olive green touch up paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabastian458