There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Found the fuel leak. One of the plastic stems, on top of fuel pump, under the rear seat, is cracked and spewing. The two lines that feed down under the tank to the fuel filter, are also seeping at the crimp fittings. Fuel filter looks original. You can see the bubbles it is making, in the second pic.

20241026_104143.jpg

20241026_104345.jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The thing is, the fuel pump is actually under the passenger side of the rear bench seat and the sending unit is on the driver's side under the bench seat. The electricals and lines run from the sending unit over to the pump and to replace the sending unit, on the left side, you have to pull the pump, under the right side and disconnect. The sending unit is bad on this one but at 20 years old, I said I am replacing both or not at all and the lines, feed and return, from the top of the sending unit go down to the fuel filter and then on the other side of the filter, 2 lines go to the engine compartment. None of it has ever been changed. I said, pump, sending unit, both lines to the filter and the filter, or not at all. Lines are unavailable at RA but found them at ebay, NOS, and the pump/sending units are available at RA, Delphi/Bosch, and the filter, genuine MB, is at ebay. Parts and shipping is all just under $1000.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found the fuel leak. One of the plastic stems, on top of fuel pump, under the rear seat, is cracked and spewing. The two lines that feed down under the tank to the fuel filter, are also seeping at the crimp fittings. Fuel filter looks original. You can see the bubbles it is making, in the second pic.

View attachment 441277

View attachment 441278

I am assuming that why these pump mounts are recessed like that into a sump type of area is for protection from impact and / or clearance in fuel tank mounting. But the end result always seems to be that it acts as a trap for water, dirt and debris. Then the inevitable corrosion and failure. That area needs to be able to drain out IMHO. Look at that pool of fuel and dirt.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am assuming that why these pump mounts are recessed like that into a sump type of area is for protection from impact and / or clearance in fuel tank mounting. But the end result always seems to be that it acts as a trap for water, dirt and debris. Then the inevitable corrosion and failure. That area needs to be able to drain out IMHO. Look at that pool of fuel and dirt.
Filthy under that seat and the boy, about 22 years old, is a slob. Stuff all over the seats and floors. I do charge for that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coletrickle35