Think my engine just failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Oil pump or a crank/rod bearing.also look into the possibility a torque converter/ flex plate bolt loose. Inspect-able thru cover on bell housing. Oil pump failure could be internal too and not cause a problem down stream.

Last edited:

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the misfortune domin8. Is the engine sputtering/misfiring when running? Any smoke coming from the tailpipe when the engine is running? Since the noise is isolated to the driver side are you able to determine if the source is possibly the alternator, power steering pump or water pump? Did you happen to record the sound?

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Sorry to hear of the misfortune domin8. Is the engine sputtering/misfiring when running? Any smoke coming from the tailpipe when the engine is running? Since the noise is isolated to the driver side are you able to determine if the source is possibly the alternator, power steering pump or water pump? Did you happen to record the sound?

It was too cold for me to bother with recording the noise on my cell phone. It was 43° and foggy at the time. I was in shorts, t shirt, and sandals. Definitely not prepared to handle this problem in that weather. Current weather is 31°.

As for other problems, I doubt it's the water pump. It was replaced right after I bought the truck 18 months ago. I also doubt it is the power steering pump since I was still able to turn the wheels with ease while the noise was occurring. As for the alternator, it appeared to be working perfectly normal too. I looked for movement in all of the pulleys and didn't see any. I didn't think to check the exhaust, but nothing obvious caught my attention.

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Nothing yet. I walked up there this morning to figure or wtf. Truck was sitting in the same spot the tow truck left it at. Service department said they were tied up at the moment with work that came in prior to my truck. As I was going back to the hotel I got a call that said they were going to get it looked at as soon as a tech they want to look at it finished his current project. Apparently he was just finishing putting in another engine in another truck and was going for a test drive. Once he got back he would look at my truck anne they would tell me what's up. However, after diagnosis he would start on another truck that was also there before mine. That's fine with me as they will need time to collect parts before working on my truck. Right now, I just care about the diagnosis. That'll give me the info I need to determine if I'm sending my wife and kid home on Grey Hound.

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
No overheating that I could tell. Water temp gauge stayed right in the middle. As for the tranny, temps were also nice and cool between 140-160 degrees. NNBS Tahoes have a trans temp readout in the DIC. My Tahoe not only has the trans cooler in the radiator, but also the GM auxiliary trans cooler in front of the radiator. I've also added the engine oil cooler, which required a new radiator to support it. That was done several months ago.

I've also been asked about the AC somewhere else, so I'll add here the same thing that I told that person. AC was not on. Vents were on a lower setting, under 50%, with recirculate. Temp dial was at the coldest setting. The air was very cold coming out of the vents. Aux was on, and my wife was using the control panel in the back seat to keep herself and my son cool.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yuck, based on your description, sounds like a rod. Hope they get you back on the road soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat