this is a new problem for me now.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebxgsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at full steering wheel lock (when i was trying to turn around in a parking lot) i noticed that the steering felt like it was binding up. it almost felt like a popping as i tried to turn the truck around.

not sure if this is related to another ongoing problem i am having. i hear a sort of howling noise around 35 MPH & it continues (most prominent) up to about 50/55 MPH. not as noticeable at higher speeds. but once i let off the gas, i don't really hear the noise anymore. only when i am pressing on the accelerator.

again, i'm not sure if these problems are related. brought it to a shop & they said the noise was the bearings. i had them replaced, but the noise is still there. now i have to figure out what the other problem is too. can anyone help me out & point me in any kind of direction?

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denali? Transfer case worn and/or binding up? Check/change the fluid recently?

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly check the rear axle bearings and the carrier bearings,just had mine done ,took awhile to figure it out because it would only do it when on the ground moving not on a hoist.

delta579

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I second checking the rear diff. Just take off the diff. cover and check for metal in the fluid. Use a small pry bar and try to move the diff. up and down, left and right. It should not move. The outer axle bearings should be checked for leaks and movement. Take off the tires and try to move the axles around, they should not move. Once you have the diff. cover off you can spin the drive shaft by hand and listen for noise, there should be very little. The diff. fluid muffles almost all noise.
If you wait too long to check the rear diff. then you end up grinding into the diff. itself and have to replace it for $500+. The inner axle bearings went out on mine and ground the diff., had to replace it.
Not a hard job. Messy and stinky though. Took about 3 hours.

OP
OP
E

ebxgsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, i just talked to the shop that should be doing my lift & he said it sounds like the carrier bearing. i have to get some things fixed on my Jeep first & then i'm going to drop off the Yukon to get everything else done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat