Three Carseats - 2022 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to double-check, but my 21' Suburban DOES NOT have lower anchors in the 3rd row for a car seat base. Can only use the seat belt plus the tether anchor in the cargo area, which obviously isn't an option with a car seat base.
Correct - no latch anchors in the third row. Only top tether anchors on the back of the seats for forward facing. Most infant bases will let you buckle them in with the seatbelt. Since not all cars have latch anchors, especially older ones, they are designed to also use the seatbelt for anchoring. That said, I can't imagine putting an infant in the third row. Every time the infant needs to get out it means one of the adults needs to crawl back there, unlatch and then navigate the car seat between the captain chairs. Might be OK on a long road trip, but frequent stops would be a headache.

SerialNo1

Reaction score
Correct - no latch anchors in the third row. Only top tether anchors on the back of the seats for forward facing. Most infant bases will let you buckle them in with the seatbelt. Since not all cars have latch anchors, especially older ones, they are designed to also use the seatbelt for anchoring. That said, I can't imagine putting an infant in the third row. Every time the infant needs to get out it means one of the adults needs to crawl back there, unlatch and then navigate the car seat between the captain chairs. Might be OK on a long road trip, but frequent stops would be a headache.
With the detachable bases it's not bad getting them in and out because the base stays buckled in and we can just remove the carseat. For us, having two kids in forward facing careseats, it's easier to get them in and buckled up without having to crawl in the back. Maybe once our oldest is in a booster seat we can switch her to the back instead.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the detachable bases it's not bad getting them in and out because the base stays buckled in and we can just remove the carseat. For us, having two kids in forward facing careseats, it's easier to get them in and buckled up without having to crawl in the back. Maybe once our oldest is in a booster seat we can switch her to the back instead.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intention. Won't you still be crawling back to the 3rd row to remove the infant car seat from the base? It just sounds harder to go back and forth between the captain chairs with an infant seat than going back there to buckle/unbuckle the 5yo from their 5-point. Regardless - it does get much easier once they are able to self buckle. We have 5 kids and only two of them need help. It's so nice to be moving the older ones to backless boosters. The rig feels so much more open!

SerialNo1

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intention. Won't you still be crawling back to the 3rd row to remove the infant car seat from the base? It just sounds harder to go back and forth between the captain chairs with an infant seat than going back there to buckle/unbuckle the 5yo from their 5-point. Regardless - it does get much easier once they are able to self buckle. We have 5 kids and only two of them need help. It's so nice to be moving the older ones to backless boosters. The rig feels so much more open!
Yes you are correct, we will be putting the infant carseat in the 3rd row. Our thought is it's easier as we can just drop the carseat into the base and call it a day and then just pull the latch to detach it from it when the time comes. Obviously if this doesn't work out we will have to make a change as to who sit where but we were at least going to give it a shot. This all comes down to the fact that we've also been waiting since September last year for them to accept our order and as of now it's still in 1100 status so who knows if we will ever get the chance to do this in the first place.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it works out for you soon! We're hoping to get a Suburban LS Duramax in the future, but at this point we're just going to sit it out until the inventory issues aren't so bad. Right now the 7 of us are cozy in our '14 Honda Pilot. It gets the job done, but we could really use the boost in cargo space behind the 3rd row (plus the ability to tow).

outkastist

Reaction score
I specifically order the bench because I wanted to be able to fit all 3 of my kids in the second row in case we are out and needed to have the third row down for cargo. You can't do that with bucket seats. We almost never seat all 3 in the second row, but I like the added utility when we do need it.

Just food for thought.

outkastist

Reaction score
Yes you are correct, we will be putting the infant carseat in the 3rd row. Our thought is it's easier as we can just drop the carseat into the base and call it a day and then just pull the latch to detach it from it when the time comes. Obviously if this doesn't work out we will have to make a change as to who sit where but we were at least going to give it a shot. This all comes down to the fact that we've also been waiting since September last year for them to accept our order and as of now it's still in 1100 status so who knows if we will ever get the chance to do this in the first place.
A little perspective from my experience here.

We had a car with second row bench, and 3 in car seats at one point. They say the middle of the second row is the safest place for the little one, so we typically had the biggest in the third row, child number 2 in the driver's side second row, and the smallest in the center second row. This configuration allowed us to fold the passenger side second down for access to the back row.

SerialNo1

Reaction score
A little perspective from my experience here.

We had a car with second row bench, and 3 in car seats at one point. They say the middle of the second row is the safest place for the little one, so we typically had the biggest in the third row, number 2 in the driver's side second row, and the smallest in the center second row. This configuration allowed us to fold the passenger side second down for access to the back row.
Yes that's correct. If you can, the safest spot is basically the center of the vehicle. Problem with the bucket seats are that there isn't a center seat in the 2nd row so the baby would be on one side or the other. In the 3rd row the baby can be in the middle and there's still a lot of space behind there in case of a rear end crash.

outkastist

Reaction score
Yes that's correct. If you can, the safest spot is basically the center of the vehicle. Problem with the bucket seats are that there isn't a center seat in the 2nd row so the baby would be on one side or the other. In the 3rd row the baby can be in the middle and there's still a lot of space behind there in case of a rear end crash.
True. You initially asked about second row bench. I am a definite proponent of second row bench for the sake of utility.

SerialNo1

Reaction score
True. You initially asked about second row bench. I am a definite proponent of second row bench for the sake of utility.
No that was the original poster to this thread who asked about the bench. I had just interjected my 2 cents for whatever it's worth on his question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustGibby