Throttle body relearn/high idle issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamThatRiver24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did some looking and found some light discussion here about it previously, but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance and/or confirmation that this behavior is normal.

Saturday night I got the P2135 (TPS reading invalid) and an engine throwing a temper tantrum. It was the middle of the night in a parking lot and I didn't wanna deal or just throw parts at it, so I just had it towed to our shop for confirmation of diag. Shop confirmed and replaced the TB yesterday.

I have no idea if they reset it properly (via scanner or manually)...wife was the one to pick it up and she forgot to ask, lol. Anyway, lo and behold today it's revving to 2500 rpms every time she puts it in park after driving. It also seemed to have noticeably more forward thrust when coasting.

She calls me panicking; I come meet her at the gas station and apparently it had just finally stopped doing it to her when she pulled in. I checked for soft codes just in case and found a P0507 (IAC system RPM higher than expected). Cleared the code; it didn't return and the problem didn't arise for me at all after subsequent short test drives.

I'm assuming this is normal and it was just being a turd and taking a few drive cycles to figure itself out?

Side note: The first half of the manual procedure has been done again just in case. The second half (if the first half fails) has likely been done a couple of times naturally due to where we live and how the vehicle is driven, but I suppose I can be more deliberate about it and make sure if the problem reappears.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring harness coming out of the TPS under the loom to see if it has been spliced or original wiring is damaged/melting. Follow it back from the plug at least 6 inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wvdg