Tips & tricks for removing seats? Replacing carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My 2005 Tahoe currently has a vinyl floor which I absolutely hate. So I purchased a new carpet from stock interiors and I'm going to install it but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for removing the seats. I need to pick up some deep well sockets, does anyone know what sizes I will need?

Thanks in advance.

tadallic

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help but I just did the same thing and I was unaware that I needed a E socket for my 02 denali....I would try to locate you seat bolts before you start just to make sure.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need an external torx socket. I did mine with a 12 point 15mm socket though. But I stripped a few of the bolts. If I could go back I would buy the correct sockets.

tadallic

Reaction score
scotty , out in cali they are hard as hell to find.....lol so I did the same thing you did,,,,

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each seat is held in by a combination of four nuts/bolts.

So remove the plastic trim pieces around the seat corners and figure out what socket you will need for each one.

On my 2002 Suburban the 2nd row was all nuts...i forget the size.

The front row however was special. The back of the seats were held in by an E16 I believe and my front row was bolted down with a larger type of inverted torx. i actually had to go to the dealer and was lucky enough to borrow one of the mechanics sockets.

I then replaced all the funky nuts/bolts with regular hex nuts/bolts.

K, goodluck.

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found the e torx at pepboys, its best to use them over a standard socket, even though they are a "one use tool"

DefendHawaii

Snake Eater
Reaction score
Is this the same in a 2000 ya think? My burban has thevinyl floor and it is absolutely atrocious to look at. I was on rock auto and they got the entire front for like 112.00

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone got a pic of the vinyl floor, cant say i've ever seen a floor that wasnt just carpet

DefendHawaii

Snake Eater
Reaction score
Yeah I'll post a pic of mine Ina little but. Mines black with a diamond style print. Ugly as fck and gross to clean. I use simple green and some armor all to give a clean shine. It sucks!

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHA! my pops had a truck back in the day with the vinyl floor, he just took the hose to it to clean it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timmytom