Tranny Slipping??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was driving my 03 Yukon with a lil over 185K on it around yesterday and as I was accelerating out of lights and stuff it seems like it would slip or the pedal would feel empty for a second and stuff it was odd
Then it made an obvious jump in RPM and the Check Engine light came on...
Is it rebuild time or am I overlooking something more simple

TunasTwins

2005 Tahoe LS
Reaction score
could be the many things like the throttle position sensor (TPS). Go get the codes checked. Good Luck!

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, describe the slippage. Is it only from a stop, or in certain gears, or all gears and scenarios? WOT, 1/2 throttle, 1/4 throttle? What about at a steady highway speed on level ground? Autozone will pull codes for free... get scanned and post if any.

The main culprits for a true slip in these transmissions under part throttle are the plastic accumulator pistons and the PWM circuit for the torque converter clutch. The last one normally isn't a factor in the trucks since the TCC lockup is usually firm and direct and it doesn't drag the TCC at low speeds like GM programmed many of the cars to do.

If it slips in all gears then the forward accumulator piston is likely cracked and causing the forward clutch to slip (don't drive it like this! FWD clutch is a bad one to fry as it can damage the drum). In 1st gear it's unlikely that the lo/roller clutch is slipping as this is pretty strong considering the gearing advantage. 2nd with be the band, 3rd the direct clutch, gears 1-3 all use the forward sprag, and 4th gear uses the forward clutch, band, and direct clutch. In other words, if the slip only happens in gears 1-3 then the sprag is likely gone... manually shift it through 1, 2, and 3 on the column shifter and see if the slippage is still present.

Southernstyle

Reaction score
i have the same problem with the light slip but only in 4th driving down the highway. if i give it just a little gas the RPM's come up 4-500 for just a second then it grabs, the RPM's drop back down n it accelerates. it only does it with a slight amount of throttle though cause if i get down on the pedal it pulls with no slip. any ideas?

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem with the light slip but only in 4th driving down the highway. if i give it just a little gas the RPM's come up 4-500 for just a second then it grabs, the RPM's drop back down n it accelerates. it only does it with a slight amount of throttle though cause if i get down on the pedal it pulls with no slip. any ideas?

this is the problem I have been posting about. rpms arent jumping that much for me though. installing a vetter servo helped alot for me but it i do't think it solved the real problem. I just changed the fluid and filter to no difference also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES