Trans Trouble...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Rider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully some of you fine people can help me with an answer to this predicament I'm in. I've got an 02' Yukon xl, 5.3L, 2WD, 207,046mi.

Just for some background...We bought the the SUV at around 160,000 miles. Only one previous owner and they kept all maintenance reports, and all routine maintenance was performed and up to date. I've been extremely happy with my Yukon, never had a bit of a problem, 'til litterally right after I hit 200,000mi. Had my A/C go out...had to recharge, next week...the battery, altinator and starter go at the same time. then the water pump. Lol.

Its been a little while since anything else has happened. But, yesterday, I was at the Taco Bell with my wife. We were settin in the drive through...truck was runnin perfectly fine all day long, not one inccedent. then as I go to take off from the drive through, its like its wanting to move, but its stuck in 4th or somethin...the RPMs are revin high but the trucks barely moving...so after switching the gears through, I turn the car off for about a minute, turn it back on...it works perfectly.

We get across the parking lot and some kid cuts me off so I hit the brakes...then it starts doin the same thing, it won't go in reverse either, but it goes into park just fine....so I leave it in drive, get out and try to rock it a little to see if its engaged or in neutral...its engaged. I turn the car off, turn it back on. Its fine...it runs through all gears with no problem. Its not missing any. I had one more inccedent on the way home where once I got to top gear, it was lie it didn't have and horse power, I was goin about 40...but if i pushed the gas to go faster, it just reved up the RPMs but wouldnt go past 40-45.

Today, I checked trans fluid and everything...it all reads fine, though it does seem like the trans fluid was a little high. But anyway...I let it kool down. Start the Yukon from a cold crank....it runs perfect....all gears, no shutters, no bucks, full power...I stoped slow and fast, put it in reverse...1st,2nd and upwards, no problem...then I noticed...as soon at it started geting to normal opperating temp...it was acting up, the exact same way...but if I turn off the engine and let it set for about 2 mins. its back to normal for a few miles....or at cold engine temps.

Any answers or suggestions...could this have something to do with the shift solenoid or PCM...or is it my trans pump.

P.S. sorry for the novel....just wanted to give a detailed account.

redaddiction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new transmission. Either have a local shop rebuild yours, or put in a rebuilt unit.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon Rider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, thats what I was hoping wouldn't be the case. lol.
....Oh well, guess its time to get her up in the air, and take her apart....

redaddiction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did good to get 200,000 miles out of a stock 4l60e. Swap it and do it right you can get lots more miles out of your truck.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon Rider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hell yea, Thanks for the info man....I was just wonderin to though...whats the best kind of trans to go with, price wise and quality. Cause I was wanting to put a new one in there....I don't want those plastic OEM parts in my tranny box...but I'm havin trouble deciding on an upgraded rebuild, or a new tranmission.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell yea, Thanks for the info man....I was just wonderin to though...whats the best kind of trans to go with, price wise and quality. Cause I was wanting to put a new one in there....I don't want those plastic OEM parts in my tranny box...but I'm havin trouble deciding on an upgraded rebuild, or a new tranmission.

you cannot buy a "new" transmission. the crate transmissions from the dealer are "remanufactured" the only difference your likely to encounter between buying a dealer crate tranny as opposed to a rebuild from a local shop is the length of the warranty . i just installed a crate tranny in my z71 that i got from the local dealership and it turned out to be a dud so back i went and they installed another one... so far, so good

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the wire harness connection to the transmission? My connector was loose and dirty and caused my transmission to have problems.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon Rider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you cannot buy a "new" transmission. the crate transmissions from the dealer are "remanufactured" the only difference your likely to encounter between buying a dealer crate tranny as opposed to a rebuild from a local shop is the length of the warranty . i just installed a crate tranny in my z71 that i got from the local dealership and it turned out to be a dud so back i went and they installed another one... so far, so good

......Yea, thats why when I said "new" I figured just about anyone would understand that I meant "Newly Remanufactured" ....I guess I was right though, it seems just about every one but you has understood me, LOL.

...Nah, I'm just kiddin, I don't wanna bust balls here...My point was just the question of weather or not it was worth the price of goin with a reman or a rebuild...but I'm goin with the reman anyway...just can't sleep with the thought of plastic transmission parts in my Yukon, lol. Plus like you said...I like the sound of a better warranty...

Nappers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my tranny here for my 2000 Yukon SLE 2wd, have 30,000 miles on it and not one hiccup.

They are great guys and I went through Ebay, not sure if they have an ebay add or not.

Family owned and they dyno their transmissions.

I paid back in 2010, 950 delivered to my front porch.

http://www.ronniesmithtransmission.com/index.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnk71