Transmission fluid - 6L80 17 Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have spent hours researching, calling and asking questions of multiple local shops and remanufacturers. Finally I found another post recommending Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, TX. I called and immediately was comfortable with this outfit working on my vehicle. I let him tell me what needed to be done. After his explanation I think even @NickTransmissions would approve :) I'll be dropping off my vehicle with him next week. It is a three week turn as he is so busy. But, for years of peace of mind well worth it. I will update this thread with my impression of the results after it is done.
I'm familiar with them...Rebuilt one of their 4L60Es for a customer who used to live near them in Fort Worth....I'll have to confer w/my notes as to what I found on tear down but don't recall anything damning in terms of builder procedural errors or bad judgement on parts selection...

Nutro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in Austin as well. Please let me know how it goes. I have a local guy that is awesome at building but always like to explore options

OP
OP
J

jabre

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did not end up going with Phoenix Transmissions. I had planned to get a U-Haul car carrier and tow it up. Turns out that the Tahoe exceeds the weight capacity of the U-Haul carrier. I would have to go across town to pick up a flat bed carrier. Given local traffic it realistically would have added a day of my time between pickup/drop-off. Dealing with that just put me over the edge as too much work/time involved.

I ended up going with a nearby shop and a remanufactured transmission from go-powertrain as they have a 3 year, unlimited mile warranty with a reasonable warranty hourly labor coverage. I got the premium transmission package which includes the upgraded billet transmission. Shipment was received in 3 days. Two days after that the shop got the swap done and reprogrammed in a day. I've been driving on it since. No issues so far. I think the only disappointment is that the shift is not tighter. Feels just like the original. I had expected a stronger, tighter shift as I got from my previous vehicles reman.

Nutro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mind if I ask the cost? And the shop that did the swap? You can IM it you want.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son had his 6l80 rebuild and tuned and the only difference I noticed on the transmission was by watching the tach. When the TC is locked it is solid. But in a deluxe heavy vehicle a firm shift might not really stand out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoTahoe