Transmission/Transfer Case service cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boulderado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I am due for a transmission/transfer case service and was quoted $227 (by Firestone) out the door for transmission fluid change, new transmission filter and transmission case fluid change. Does that seem like an OK cost estimate?

Also, anything else I should be keeping in mind at this point, 98,000 miles. It is running great, but we do a fair amount of towing (6,500 lbs travel trailer) here at altitude in Colorado. We replaced the rear shocks last year with Arnott replacements (works great).

Thx.

OP
OP
boulderado

boulderado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The dude did not say anything about a flush. Should I ask for the flush, I know some manufacturers do not recommend a flush.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dude did not say anything about a flush. Should I ask for the flush, I know some manufacturers do not recommend a flush.

What part of CO? If you're in the Denver area, I'd skip Firestone and go to Kimmer Transmission down in Centennial. Doesn't help you now, but they did my transmission, transfer case and both differentials for $250ish as an end-of-year special.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not a bad price. I almost exclusively take my vehicles to my local Sears for things I dont want/dont have time to do. They charge 199.00 to flush and fill the tranny/T Case, however the DO NOT remove the pan and change the filter... On any vehicle... Just pump out the old and in with the new... So ill be doing the tranny myself. Your price, if it includes the filter and pan gasket + a full flush is a pretty good deal IMO.

OP
OP
boulderado

boulderado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another local transmission shop quoted $175 for the transmission fluid and filter. I assume they have to drop the pan in order to replace the filter?

Also, I do not see anything about front and rear differential service interval in my user manual. Are you guys having these services at 100K as well (or more often)? Thx again.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do mine at 100k. And yes the only way to change the filter is to drop the pan. Make SURE that you supply them with a new pan gasket if they are not supplying one when they change it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968