Transmission won't go when cold 2000 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have several problems with the car but 1 at a time! LOL
The car was sitting for 3 years with minimal driving. So getting it back on the road with 267K miles. I took it to a mechanic friend to do tune-ups, address Check Engine Light and other minor items. We changed the transmission fluid and filter and added a transmission additive by BAR. He had gone out for mechanic things and when he returned he said, "Oh. I wouldn't have changed that out. Sometimes more damage than good at that mileage." he explained why. The dip stick had always shown full. When the guy dropped the pan there was very little fluid that came out. He put back in 6 qts, I think, But when it started it would not shift, the stick showed full. he added some more fluid and it began to shift a little. He added more and it did a little better, until he eventually added 3 qts. It was shifting fine and the stick never showed OVER full.

That was about 1500 miles ago. Now in the morning I can't move it until I change to reverse, go backwards then forwards then backwards then forwards. Each time moving a little more until it finally goes and then I'm fine for the rest of the day unless it cools down.

1st.... I think there was too much fluid added but the level shows fine. If there was too much fluid added what do I do now?

2nd... I obviously have transmission problems. I had a couple of guys look at it real quick and each one said right off the bat. "Oh you're gonna need a new transmission."

I'm not so sure about that, but will bow to more experienced "PROFESSIONALS" if need be.

Thought I would run it past you guys, whom I am trusting more and more than my local 1 stop mechanic shop, to shoot out your opinions.

I know, I know too much fluid can ruin it.. but what now?
Please be gentle and kind :chair:

PS. I think I may have not described this correctly. I was saying SHIFT but what I meant was GO. The transmission DOES shift into gear. It just DOESN'T GO! Like the Emergency brake is on. Then after pressing on the accelerator it EVENTUALLY goes. Real sloooow and then eventually it picks right up and goes normal.

Last edited:

JBTJ

Reaction score
First off start the engine and allow it to get fully warmed up. Then check the ATF level. Engine must be running and in park. This will tell you if you have too much or not enough ATF in the system. But, it sounds like the fluid level is low. If too much we can go from there to get some removed.

However, If too much fluid was added, normally it would puke it back out of the vent and you would see it and think you have a leak.

I've never been a fan of adding any type of additive to the fluid. It usually does more harm than good.

Keep us posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968