Tried to upgrade rotors; caliper bracket doesn't fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I waited all day for it to cool down and then tried to swap my warped rotors on my K2xx with some Raybestos Element3 rotors that I had in the shelf for my GMT800.

They fit the K2xx, but the stock caliper bracket is too small. Can I get a larger caliper bracket or do I have to get new calipers if I want to use these rotors? (I had a pair of Raybestos 4 piston calipers to go with the rotors, but they didn't come with brackets and I can only find one of them at the moment o_O)

IMG_5011.jpeg

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they MIGHT fit with some washer spacers, just makes me uncomfortable how tight it is.. although I am able to rotate the rotor with my hand, it feels like the rotor is coming into contact with the caliper bracket.

IMG_5012.jpeg

Also, look at the piston seal on the lower piston in this pic. Looks effed. Should I replace this caliper before driving with it?

IMG_5013.jpeg

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my '02 Tahoe I had to upgrade the pads rotors calipers AND caliper brackets
by using the '10 pads rotors calipers AND caliper brackets.

Guess what I'm asking is, are you using the newer caliper brackets?
If not, try using the newer ones.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my '02 Tahoe I had to upgrade the pads rotors calipers AND caliper brackets
by using the '10 pads rotors calipers AND caliper brackets.

Guess what I'm asking is, are you using the newer caliper brackets?
If not, try using the newer ones.

I don’t have new brackets. And after seeing this piston seal, I don’t want to put this wheel back on until I’ve replaced this caliper.

This is my only vehicle at my current location so I’m just going to go with local OEM parts for now so I can get this rig back on the road. Anything else would need to be ordered.

I’ll do a proper brake upgrade when I have time to order all of the parts.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and rode my dirt bike out to Napa Auto Parts to pick up some OEM rotors and calipers. Now gotta do the passenger side and will be done with it.

Will probably upgrade brakes when I return from Buenos Aires.

IMG_5016.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg
IMG_5018.jpeg
IMG_5019.jpeg
IMG_5020.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bwillis