Tru-Cool 40k Cost Me 3k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 Tahoe LT- Looking for some advice:

One of the first upgrades is did to my Tahoe, installed the Tru-cool 40k transmission cooler. I live in the Central Valley of California and it gets triple digits here. So I figured the upgrade was worth it. Install was pretty simple. I used the hoses that came with the kit. Cut my cooler lines and added hoses with clamps.

A year later one of the hoses popped off and while driving on the freeway and I burned up the transmission. It needed a rebuild anyway so no problem. I had a shop do the work and asked them to fix up my cooler lines ( flare them out) so they don’t pop off again.

Well yesterday, one of my hoses popped and I lost half of the fluid. Luckily, I was in a parking lot when it happened so no grave damage done. I replaced the hose and topped it off.

So now I’m looking for input. Any other setup I can do so I don’t have this happen again? Part of me regrets installing this cooler. Should have just left the stock one. Anyhow. Some advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_6646.jpeg
    IMG_6646.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6648.jpeg
    IMG_6648.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 3

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The biggest thing I see is not using line clamps. Worm gear clamps don't last. Plus, your line that the hose clamps to should be long enough that you have at least two line clamps and 3 line clamps is even better. I see sharp edges where the 2 hoses travel, too.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

One of the first upgrades is did to my Tahoe, installed the Tru-cool 40k transmission cooler. I live in the Central Valley of California and it gets triple digits here. So I figured the upgrade was worth it. Install was pretty simple. I used the hoses that came with the kit. Cut my cooler lines and added hoses with clamps.

A year later one of the hoses popped off and while driving on the freeway and I burned up the transmission. It needed a rebuild anyway so no problem. I had a shop do the work and asked them to fix up my cooler lines ( flare them out) so they don’t pop off again.

Well yesterday, one of my hoses popped and I lost half of the fluid. Luckily, I was in a parking lot when it happened so no grave damage done. I replaced the hose and topped it off.

So now I’m looking for input. Any other setup I can do so I don’t have this happen again? Part of me regrets installing this cooler. Should have just left the stock one. Anyhow. Some advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan
If you used clamps you should have a least used the heavy duty stainless steel clamps not the autozone junk. Like others said, hose looks to short and there is sharp edges that vibration can cut the hose.
I have had the cooler several years and have never had any leaks or hoses bust. My cooler bypassed the radiator cooler.

justirv

Reaction score

Thanks,
Dan
My choice was to go with stainless braided lines with -AN fittings (-6 I beleive?), all the way from trans to cooler. The trans -AN fittings are specific to the 4L60e series, as the thread is not a "standard" pipe thread. I went to this solution after I had my trans freshly rebuilt and blew a stock retaining clip on the freeway at 70+... smoked my 3/4 clutches before I could pull over.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, never use hose clamps on a tranny line. Any shop that makes custom hoses for bobcats, forklifts, etc. can make you new custom fit hoses with crimped on fittings. You can use high pressure rated rubber covered in stainless steel braid or they will make custom fit metal lines with the correct fittings. Take your cooler out, measure your lines for either type of hoses mentioned and take into their shop and they will hook you up. It wont cost a fortune and will be much less than a tranny rebuild...again. Or you can also just drive the vehicle in and have them have at it.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the feedback. I’m in agreement with everyone. A garbage job one the hose and garbage clamps. I’m going to look into the AN setup. I like the stainless braided lines idea from the tranny to the cooler. I’ll report back here soon. Thanks to all!!

Dan

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, never use hose clamps on a tranny line. Any shop that makes custom hoses for bobcats, forklifts, etc. can make you new custom fit hoses with crimped on fittings. You can use high pressure rated rubber covered in stainless steel braid or they will make custom fit metal lines with the correct fittings. Take your cooler out, measure your lines for either type of hoses mentioned and take into their shop and they will hook you up. It wont cost a fortune and will be much less than a tranny rebuild...again. Or you can also just drive the vehicle in and have them have at it.
Good suggestions. Ima start by going to the shop that rebuilt my tranny first thing in the morning. It was just done less than a month ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iam100ami