U-Joint steering shaft option for 97+ owners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phantom240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm starting to get the slack/sloppiness/crappiness out of the steering in my 99 Denali, and I want to eliminate the rag joint and go with a u-joint setup. HOWEVER, I'm seeing that in 97, they changed the steering shaft to a design that won't allow me to use the Cherokee shaft like the older models can. I also haven't been successful in finding an aftermarket shaft made for these trucks. What gives? Anyone have any info on how to convert this thing, or are my only options to A) Replace the rag joint with another crappy rag joint or B) Take the shaft to a local machine shop and have them fit a u-joint in the rag joint's place?

EDIT: It seems as though I've placed this in the wrong subforum, lol. Can a mod move this to general discussion?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantom240

Phantom240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the part labeled by 8 with one that gets rid of the rag joint, and uses a u-joint instead. Trucks '96 and older have a shaft which interchanges with a Jeep Cherokee shaft, which already has the u-joints. Modification is minimal. Apparently, those of us with a 97+ model can't do that. Do you have any suggestions, or should I just replace the rag joint with another ****** rag joint?

arsonfnder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The top link appears to be what my 1998 tahoe has and I need part # 18 do you have the part number sir?

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52