Underhood Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
I now officially have my 2009 NNBS hoe (pics attached) and I noticed that there is no light under the hood and I would very much like to do some LED strips or something. I had a crazy idea though and I am curious with other owners of similar hoe's if this might work.

So, I came across these COB LED's http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-White-Ca...ash=item3f4ee00670:g:UwgAAOSwHnFVim8H&vxp=mtr They aren't really long like the strips, but look like the brightness would be really nice. One I dea I had was to permanently stick these towards the front, under the hood and then see about putting 1 or 2 on each side under the hood, but to have them stick using neodymium magnets (those REALLY strong ones) so then that way, if you needed to have light in a spot you still cant see in, you could detach it and move the light to that area.

Again, just an idea, not sure yet if I will do it, but at the very least, there needs to be some light under that hood. Im also thinking about doing a mercury switch so that when the hood is open, the lights pop on. :) Any thoughts, words of wisdom, additional ideas?

Thank you all very much.

IMG_20170121_090753_zpsxmy0bcuc.jpg

IMG_20170121_090804_zpstdgwfmqz.jpg
IMG_20170121_090815_zpsdwygpjnz.jpg

OP
OP
T

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
Considering the very affordable price, I went ahead and bought the COB LED's. I'm going to see how those work. The eagle eyes would also be nice, especially if you were wanting to light up a tight area somewhere under the hood. Can't wait to see what these will do. :) Ill be sure to post pics. Oh, and now I just purchased a mercury switch. If I wasn't on any FBI list yet, I'm pretty sure I am now...lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
I finally did it. Not totally completed but they are up and working. This is 2 (daisy chained) of the 6 COB LED strips i purchased. :) The wiring will be cleaned up of course and I am either going to use my mercury styled switch or one of the pin switches I ordered and will have on Monday.
IMG_20170203_215410_zpshixo6waq.jpg
IMG_20170203_214651_zpsor0s0xu0.jpg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
You ever changed out an alternator or belt or exc in the dark in freezing temps while holding the mag light in your mouth or setting it where it only shines on one area and you have to keep moving it? Why not have both hands 100% free, that's the point. More light coverage and faster repair time without fiddling with the light. It's the most convenient light possible.

Another option maybe a light on your head but that one time the battery runs out is always the worst time. And these lights will never run out of battery.

Like most on here I also have a mag light for the rest of the areas of the truck like under , top, sides, exc. although if I have all my doors , liftgate, and hood open and my underglow on I seriously don't even need a flashlight lol

In the end a $6 light mod that installs in minutes, to easy and cheap not to do it.

OP
OP
T

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
You ever changed out an alternator or belt or exc in the dark in freezing temps while holding the mag light in your mouth or setting it where it only shines on one area and you have to keep moving it? Why not have both hands 100% free, that's the point. More light coverage and faster repair time without fiddling with the light. It's the most convenient light possible.

Another option maybe a light on your head but that one time the battery runs out is always the worst time. And these lights will never run out of battery.

Like most on here I also have a mag light for the rest of the areas of the truck like under , top, sides, exc. although if I have all my doors , liftgate, and hood open and my underglow on I seriously don't even need a flashlight lol

In the end a $6 light mod that installs in minutes, to easy and cheap not to do it.

Exactly. Not to mention that since I live in Minnesota its not uncommon for it to get crazy cold in the winter. I've experienced -50 w/windchill before. That's a whole different kinda cold you don't want to mess with. I think exposure time was 5 minutes. Not only do these lights keep your hands free, but if your working on something that requires you to take your gloves off, the last thing you want to be doing is holding a freezing metal flash light.

I guess considering the other options, not saying that their bad, but this seems like a far more effective and efficient way to light up that much area, with that much light, and at that little cost. :) Definitely to easy and cheep not to do it.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably jinx myself by saying this, but I haven't found myself having to change an alternator, or other major component on the side of the road or in a parking lot before. At home, I have plenty of lighting options.

Besides, regardless of where your light is coming from, your hands, tools and/or head is in the way and blocking much of the light for where you are trying to see anyways.

Fortunately, I do not live where much of a chance of going that far below zero. In sub and near zero temps, I have found that surgical gloves make a surprising difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ela2q