Upgrading alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I've been looking at some GoodYear GatorBack belts. I have AC, and I believe the stock alternator on my 99 Tahoe is 105amp. If I upgrade to a more powerful alternator, such as the 140amp delco, would I need a different belt? How do I know which one to get?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
You're not being a dick. I know nothing about this and am looking for any kind of info leading to the best replacement alternator. I want to upgrade to a quality one, not a reman. My experience with remans are more nothing to write home about but, thats another story.

What are the benefits of upgrading to a 220a vs a 150?
I do plan on upgrading my stereo but nothing too drastic, replacement speakers and a sub with new headunit and one amp.
Performance wise, what will upgrading do for me?
I am also planning on upgrading my ignition to, sooner than later.

Sorry for all the questions
Thanks

Hey Tiger, its Tigwldr. Hows it going?
Looks like I missed this one.... it's all good Tig. I'm sure your questions have been answered by now, but I'll throw my $0.02 in anyway. Having more power available is never a bad thing - just additional capacity. When you start introducing amps/subs into the mix, the power draw adds up quickly. Performance wise, you won't notice much from a SOTP standpoint, but again, you'll have more power available if/when you need it. Think of where ALL of your electrical needs are sourced - alt/battery. More reserve is far better than not enough juice, not to mention the ** models put out far more power at lower rpms than the factory versions.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

I was just curious, don't really know too much about them. I am planning on doing the "big 3" upgrade here soon and figured I'd toss an new alternator on while i'm at it. The stock is 105amp right? I'm looking at throwing some lights on the roof rack i'm builiding and some lightforce's on the ranchhand that i will eventually procure. ha. Sounds like iraggi is the new hottness, eh?

In most cases, the stock alt is 105a. There was an option for the 140a. If you're looking to run off-road lights, I'd definitely upgrade to AT LEAST the 140a. I'd personally consider the ** options over the factory alt because the ** models generate more power at lower rpms. Iraggi has been around for many years - I've had mine for many years and have had no problems.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

So... I've been looking at some GoodYear GatorBack belts. I have AC, and I believe the stock alternator on my 99 Tahoe is 105amp. If I upgrade to a more powerful alternator, such as the 140amp delco, would I need a different belt? How do I know which one to get?
Depends on the case size and pulley diameter being used. I think the 140a uses a longer belt than the 105a, but not 100% sure. Most parts houses will let you try it in the parking lot.

99Tahoe

Reaction score
Whats the price for a 200+amp alt from Iraggi for 1999?
Also, how much work besides is needed to be done besides simply just replacing the alternator. (Belts,Pulleys)

I saw a video of how to take one out and feel comfortable doing that but dont wanna mess up my truck haha

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I don't know his current pricing... it's been over 6yrs since I bought mine and I have 248k miles on my truck (purchased with 34k). :D

As far as what's necessary to replace the alt... Iraggi's alts come with the pulley already installed. IIRC, you can have him send the necessary bracket (the large case alt has three mounting lobes rather than two like the small case) or you can easily fab one. When I replaced mine, I was still very new to the whole DIY auto world, so I paid him to do everything since he's right around the corner from me (less than 10miles, literally) and have I a lifetime warranty. I believe the belt is the same as factory, but don't hold me to that - like I said I've had my Iraggi alt for 6+ yrs now. I've also got upgraded big 3 wiring - 00 as well as an extra 4ga wire running from alt to under-hood fuse box.

I've removed and replaced the alt when I was doing other engine work, so I know it's VERY simple - can't really mess anything up.

Last edited:

drifter666

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will help anyone on here but I remember hearing about a place I think it is in Indiana that takes an alternator and rebuilds it with new parts and doubles the output and he charges like a buck an amp

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are still some local places like that. There is a guy in town that rebuilt the mini starter in my Camaro said he would do the Tahoe's alt for $80. I took my OE starter into him to have it rebuilt. The solenoid was gone as was the internal gear drive. I ended up getting one he rebuilt on the shelf ... under $100 with warranty and using quality internal parts.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instead of big 3 do the big 6 lol
batt to alt
batt to fuze relay
batt grnd to frame
batt grnd to engine block
frame to body
batt to body

lol overkill yes i know but when i get my amps in i bet i dont have any problems but im also running 2 batteriers inthe back of my truck however

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you guys setup remote batteries like that?? Just connect them to the main battery or run a separate alternator lead?? Any diagrams?? I've seen a bunch like that here and I'm kinda curious. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms