Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helper lifted the front of the truck for the tire rotation this afternoon and saw the passenger front tire slump over. Pulled the wheel and sure enough, the hub was toast. No noises whatsoever but for the past 6-8 months I noticed a vibration at speeds over 75 mph and now that I think of it, the vibration has become more pronounced as of late compared to when we were doing 80 mph in Texas back in November.

So that Timken SP500301 was installed in August of 2017 and went 84,547 miles and 2,746 hours. In my mind, it should have lasted longer.

We'll be on the road all next week so it was imperative to repair the truck today to at least give me a day of testing before hitting the road. $491.03 later, a new GM OE hub was picked up from a local dealership by my daughter and installed. The hub has been sitting on their shelf for about 2 years according to the stickers on the box. This hub was made in Korea.

The GM OE 4x4 part number for the hub is 84856654. The current part number for the RWD hub is 84856653 in case anyone is looking.

Going to proactively replace the other hub when we do the axle swaps after our trip to Detroit. Price for that hub ought to be about half then!

Engine oil and filter changed, tires rotated, tire positions relearned, tie rods greased, hub replaced, air filter replaced, all wiper blades replaced. Motor runs smooth as a jewel. Forgot to take an oil sample for Blackstone-Labs. Car was guys came out and gave the truck a bath and detailing too, she's ready for the road.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a shame the hubs go out so quickly on these. Hopefully the gm one lasts.

I have heard timkin has had so many issues with fakes, they had to put a pr code on the box so you can scan to make sure it's real before buying them.

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
As of a little bit ago when I parked after working today, 103,450 on the odometer, 397.5 engine hours, and 9,053 gallons of fuel used! I think the engine hours may have been reset. I’m sure I’ve driven more time on the engine in the 2 and a half years I’ve owned my Denali than that. But over 9,000 gallons of fuel used blows my mind! Lol
I would think only a dealer or a thieve would be able to reset engine hours.

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
The truck was at 14.6 mpg average on Saturday, but by the end of today it's down to 13.1 due to several hours of idling. Still playing with air pressure too.
The manufacturer has already done the research on tire pressure and put it on the drivers door entrance. This number will give you the optimal mileage.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get 20 mpg at 80 mph.
Back in the early days ( '70's?)..... The estimate city & highway mileage......
The 'test' was in the California desert....; A long stretch... flat elevation......
48 mph , highway..( city don't remember)..But, steady for a specific length...... Test designed, and partially 'funded' by the automakers.

No 'stop-start'....... no acceleration.......
Now, imagine driving like that, every day, in the real world....

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think only a dealer or a thieve would be able to reset engine hours.

I'm almost postive mine reset after I first got it when the battery died. not sure if it reloaded itself later on, but think it said 00 once.

I have a hard time with 400h equaling 100k miles. I don't know the math but at work we change oil at 500h or one year whichever comes first, and lately started sending out oil samples to be tested at the beginning of deice season. it's kinda painful to dump gals of oil every year that has maybe 20h or on it and comes out of a diesel engine looking brand new. luckily the samples have come back good, and we've been able to let them go a extra year.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this site says to use engine hours time 27.5 to get mileage equivalent

in that case 100k miles would be 3600h ish. which makes more sense. one of the little Ford 2.5L engines we have says on the data plate it's good for 4000h life span. now we have well passed that on a few, but they don't get much load on them. Just a little above idle most of the day

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think when the battery gets unhooked the engine hours reset.
The engine hrs are stored in the cluster. For sure on the 14+ also whiteautoandmedia.com can reprogram the engine hrs. They offer that when you are getting a cluster programed by them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed23