Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
this site says to use engine hours time 27.5 to get mileage equivalent

in that case 100k miles would be 3600h ish. which makes more sense. one of the little Ford 2.5L engines we have says on the data plate it's good for 4000h life span. now we have well passed that on a few, but they don't get much load on them. Just a little above idle most of the day
Engine hours to milage really all depends on how much you idle and how slow or fast you drive. If you sit and idle a lot you'll have higher hours with less miles. If you drive like @Doubeleive does all the time then you'll have less hours with more mileage :party36:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine hours to milage really all depends on how much you idle and how slow or fast you drive. If you sit and idle a lot you'll have higher hours with less miles. If you drive like @Doubeleive does all the time then you'll have less hours with more mileage :party36:
For example....... Drive through Manhattan......

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when the battery gets unhooked the engine hours reset.
Mine is at 9800 hours, and has had batteries changed a few times now. I believe some other glitch causes a reset. For example, the fuel reading was 9,999+ when a got it. About a year ago, i noticed it was suddenly 20. No battery change involved either.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is at 9800 hours, and has had batteries changed a few times now. I believe some other glitch causes a reset. For example, the fuel reading was 9,999+ when a got it. About a year ago, i noticed it was suddenly 20. No battery change involved either.

Definitely could be other reasons but I do think they are resetting somehow.

I only thought battery because I noticed it after my wife walked in, side truck won't start, grabbed other keys and left. after I put a battery in it I scrolled thru to make sure it was changing on the dash and saw 0 engine hours.

but again, hybrid... they are weird about their 12v battery. and don't do well with them dying. knowing what I know now won't be letting it die again to find out. I knew it load tested like 300 when I got it but thought eh, it doesn't crank the engine or will be fine. turns out nope, some how it's harder on them.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely could be other reasons but I do think they are resetting somehow.

I only thought battery because I noticed it after my wife walked in, side truck won't start, grabbed other keys and left. after I put a battery in it I scrolled thru to make sure it was changing on the dash and saw 0 engine hours.

but again, hybrid... they are weird about their 12v battery. and don't do well with them dying. knowing what I know now won't be letting it die again to find out. I knew it load tested like 300 when I got it but thought eh, it doesn't crank the engine or will be fine. turns out nope, some how it's harder on them.
( changing battery)...... Did you attach a battery pack to the neg / pos wires first? To keep the ECU powered?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine shows 6777 hours on 171k and I think I had the original hours transferred over to the ppv cluster when I bought it
so I think it is correct. so that's 6777 hours on the vehilce since 2012.
the engine was replaced at 84k when I bought it and I believe the hours were 4000
so my actual hours on this engine with 87k is 2777 hours I really do not sit and idle much

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
( changing battery)...... Did you attach a battery pack to the neg / pos wires first? To keep the ECU powered?

these aren't really like that. they come with quick disconnect battery terminals factory. in the owners manual they give you time parked to how you handle the battery. I forget the time frames without looking it up, but if it's parked for a while you have to disconnect the battery. it's a pretty short time too, so that it doesn't discharge the whole system. many tests and force charging the hybrid battery you gotta take the battery cables off for a certain amount of time other times if you take them off to soon the brake module can't relieve the 2000psi brake pressure right and some have bricked a whole becm.

so they are fine with pulling battery terminals without keeping things powered, in fact if you do that, there's a specific gm part number tool for it, you really shouldn't use just any old battery charger. they are not a clean DC voltage and putting the ac ripple thru everything isn't a great idea either.

it's the voltage crashing from a weak battery in the middle of the full systems check it runs every key on that is really ******* everything. these trucks really are wild, everything is so analog and over complicated by today's standard. it's like learning how nasa went to the moon on 6 byte of ram and some crystals. you wonder how it ever worked right lol.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost postive mine reset after I first got it when the battery died. not sure if it reloaded itself later on, but think it said 00 once.

I don't know the math but at work we change oil at 500h or one year whichever comes first...

I think when the battery gets unhooked the engine hours reset.

You can change the battery in a reasonable amount of time without losing settings. Remove the negative cable first and attach it last. A short or disconnecting the battery improperly (causing shorts) or a dying battery causing shorts causes the settings to be lost in various modules. Mine has lost hours twice, once by my daughter when she ran the battery down by accident.

My 2013 Sierra has 109K miles and 4,415 hours on it. Our average speed since owning it is 29.4 miles per hour.

My goal has been to change the oil every 5,000 miles and this results in an hourly interval of between 130 and 180 hours or so depending on the speed driven during that time.

Last oil change was 5,057 miles, 158 hours, 141 days with an average speed of 32 mph during that time.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Work on the axle project continues at a slow pace due to my infirmities. My helper took a wire wheel to the wheel studs and cleaned the surface rust off of them. Cleaned up the axles we're going to use and the bearing surface looks fine but there are some light grooves where the seals go. They weren't leaking. $800 for new axles and studs delivered or just run what I got?

Picking up some more front end parts, another hub, CV axles, wheel hub covers (my truck didn't have them but the pickups do), new bolts for them and the spindles, etc.

Then there's the parking brake. I was going to change it over to the JNC, push to release instead of the manual release that came on the truck. 5 years ago all of the parts were $135 and now they are $400 and one cable is unobtanium in factory form. If I drop 25 pounds, that release lever is a lot easier to get at! LOL

Don't get fat guys, it's ****** on your body.

Tomorrow we're supposed to clean up the garage some more, get parts off the shelf and onto the work bench, staged for use. Then we're going to store the other 14-bolt axle, keeping it for spare parts, have to put wheel bearings back in it so it will hold axle shafts, stick the center section back in, button it up and stick it in a corner for a rainy day. Then we have to take a wire wheel to the axles and finish those up and clean up the mounting surfaces of the front differential, pull the old mounting brackets, etc.

The band saw stand was finished and put in its place in the garage, the band saw bolted to it and maybe we'll finish setting up the blade and run it tomorrow too. Lots of projects for that machine.

The trucks have been running great. Still waiting for my Blackstone-Labs report for the 2013 Sierra's oil swap to Quaker State Full Synthetic over ACDelco. Should be any day now. My driver's door hinge bushing quit moving and the door stuck open, when forcing it to close it made a bang and sparks flew. Hit it with SuperLube and worked it in but still giving some resistance. I use the folding mirrors all the time, something the driver's mirror doesn't want to unfold, just needs a little nudge and another press of the button and it opens right up.

Oh, someone bumped into it knocking the bumper cover and RR splash guard out of position. No marks, nothing appears broken, just have to loosen up the bumper cover, put everything back in place and replace the screws and pins and all should be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed23