Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the updates James. How many miles on the current axles? I replaced mine a couple of years ago and one is already leaking. If nothing else get the new ones now. You know they’ll be more expensive later on.
Between 100 and 145K miles I reckon. They are in a little bit better condition than the ones from the 141K axle. I reckon you're right, I ought not to be penny wise and pound foolish!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The results are in:

Blackstone-Labs Report - 216971-240511 - No Personal Information.jpg

Three oil changes on ACDelco oil and then 3 on Quaker State Full Synthetic oil.

My thinking is that Quaker State is a suitable replacement for ACDelco, it is easier to get hold of (Walmart) and costs about 1/2 as much. Thoughts?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quaker State Full Synthetic,
My thinking is that Quaker State is a suitable replacement for ACDelco, it is easier to get hold of (Walmart) and costs about 1/2 as much. Thoughts?
1. Which Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30? Just QSFS, or QSUPFS?

2. Either QSFS or QSUPFS - singly or in combination with the others - 5W30 should be a suitable replacement.
In fact I would not hesitate to use QSEFS in combination with either or both of the others. All QSFS are excellent, even QS High Mileage FS.

Other Group4 Full Synthetics I'd not hesitate to use at oil changes:
Pennzoil made from natural gas (both Quaker State & Pennzoil are owned by Shell, but made in different factories, differently)
Valvoline (I'm in the middle of trying 'Restore & Protect' for the next 4 oil changes)
Mobil1
Amsoil Signature Series

Other full synthetics are 'questionable'; will only use them BETWEEN oil changes IFF I'm experiencing oil consumption as topoffs -
which I do not consistently experience because my driving is inconsistent.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quaker State Full Synthetic,1. Which Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30? Just QSFS, or QSUPFS?

2. Either QSFS or QSUPFS - singly or in combination with the others - 5W30 should be a suitable replacement.
In fact I would not hesitate to use QSEFS in combination with either or both of the others. All QSFS are excellent, even QS High Mileage FS.

Other Group4 Full Synthetics I'd not hesitate to use at oil changes:
Pennzoil made from natural gas (both Quaker State & Pennzoil are owned by Shell, but made in different factories, differently)
Valvoline (I'm in the middle of trying 'Restore & Protect' for the next 4 oil changes)
Mobil1
Amsoil Signature Series

Other full synthetics are 'questionable'; will only use them BETWEEN oil changes IFF I'm experiencing oil consumption as topoffs -
which I do not consistently experience because my driving is inconsistent.

Just the plain Quaker State Full Synthetic version. These are the bottles we purchase from Walmart: 550046169 and 550046194.

Mobile One quietly moved away from being a Group IV oil back around 2010. It was noisy and caused quite a bit of wear compared to ACDelco and now this Quaker State oil according to our experiences with using it in the 5.3 and 6.2 engines.

Here is the comparison between regular Mobile One and ACDelco. The truck was switched over to ACDelco after the 2019 oil analysis.

Blackstone-Labs Report - 280076-230614 - No Personal Data.jpg

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil1 quietly moved away from being a Group IV oil back around 2010.
It was noisy and caused quite a bit of wear compared to ACDelco, and now this Quaker State oil according to our experiences with using it in the 5.3L and 6.2L engines.
(Knew it about Castrol, but did not know that about Mobil1. This is the kind of info I need to keep abreast of.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Knew it about Castrol, but did not know that about Mobil1. This is the kind of info I need to keep abreast of.
Yeah, I had been using it since the 1980s and in my last vehicle it would sometimes need a lot of makeup oil. Same with the Yukon after I got it until I switched away from Mobile One. It was great stuff back in the day.

Reaction score
Yeah, I had been using it since the 1980s and in my last vehicle it would sometimes need a lot of makeup oil. Same with the Yukon after I got it until I switched away from Mobile One. It was great stuff back in the day.
My 2001 used Mobil1 in it since the first oil change and when I got the 2012 it too was on Mobil1. A few years ago I did notice that I had to add about a quart between oil changes. I then got that big box of ACDelco oil and used that for a bit. The past 2 years though I've been using Kirkland from Costco and I haven't been having to add any between changes.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2001 used Mobil1 in it since the first oil change and when I got the 2012 it too was on Mobil1. A few years ago I did notice that I had to add about a quart between oil changes. I then got that big box of ACDelco oil and used that for a bit. The past 2 years though I've been using Kirkland from Costco and I haven't been having to add any between changes.
Tom, have you been doing oil analysis that included each of those oils? I didn't even notice it at first, that the ACDelco oil lowered the metal in the oil compared with Mobile One.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Discosuperfly