Value question: OEM manifolds or shorty headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignoring that shorties don't add performance points to any engine, and looking at only cost, should I just get a set of Speed Engineering cold-water (cold,... get it?) headers vs. a set of new cast iron manifolds?

Long-tubes would be optimal, but my state frowns on deleting stuff, and a drop-in option is in my price range for now.

What are the 2-4 year (long term) downsides of shorties? I'm planning for an engine swap on a DD, and since it needs new manifolds anyways I might as well make it look cool.

Talk me down off this cliff.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, Headers are better. Little bit lighter and oddly in my 6.2 spark plug
access was a bit better. I still have my OE exhaust components in storage, but
I never weighed them or anything. IDK if the 6.2 manifolds are the same part #
as the 5.3 manifolds though

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get them make sure you get the bolts tight. Headers of any sort I've seen bolts work their way out on a regular basis.
^^ this, best thing you can do is add some locking header bolts, that was always my main complaint couldn't go more than a couple weeks without the bastrds working there way loose. Other than that I just make them crack eventually but I am not the average driver. someone like me is better off with good o'l cast iron

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ this, best thing you can do is add some locking header bolts, that was always my main complaint couldn't go more than a couple weeks without the bastrds working there way loose. Other than that I just make them crack eventually but I am not the average driver. someone like me is better off with good o'l cast iron
Yep, couple of weeks sounds about right. Unless you were really giving it the business.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Ignoring that shorties don't add performance points to any engine, and looking at only cost, should I just get a set of Speed Engineering cold-water (cold,... get it?) headers vs. a set of new cast iron manifolds?

Long-tubes would be optimal, but my state frowns on deleting stuff, and a drop-in option is in my price range for now.

What are the 2-4 year (long term) downsides of shorties? I'm planning for an engine swap on a DD, and since it needs new manifolds anyways I might as well make it look cool.

Talk me down off this cliff.
Anything over a 5.3 you would be best to have bigger exhaust I have 1 7/8” speed engineering Longtubes and full 3” exhaust and it made a noticeable difference for sure shortys never made any power difference in any buddies of mines trucks over the years if anything it made the exhaust drone and frap more where the Longtubes really open and deep in the tone of the exhaust
I’ve put Longtubes on all 5 of my trucks I’ve had over the years same brand speed engineering

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could put long tube headers on and put high flow cats on the headers directly

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read all the comments so far.

Obviously LT headers are better, but my two choices right now are shorties or cast manifolds.

I have to spend $350 on a new tune for the 6.p swap, so I don't want to do it twice for a 5.3 LT headers tune, then a 6.0 swap tune. (Think weekend swap, needs to be running by Monday)

LTs are certainly on the table, in the future, but I'd rather have the 6.0 running reliably before I add LTs and custom work to make the cats fit.

Just looking for reasons why I shouldn't get the shorties vs. cast iron.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read all the comments so far.

Obviously LT headers are better, but my two choices right now are shorties or cast manifolds.

I have to spend $350 on a new tune for the 6.p swap, so I don't want to do it twice for a 5.3 LT headers tune, then a 6.0 swap tune. (Think weekend swap, needs to be running by Monday)

LTs are certainly on the table, in the future, but I'd rather have the 6.0 running reliably before I add LTs and custom work to make the cats fit.

Just looking for reasons why I shouldn't get the shorties vs. cast iron.
If you're doing the 6.0l swap later worry about changing them at that point and do it once. There is no gain other than changing the way it looks

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're doing the 6.0l swap later worry about changing them at that point and do it once. There is no gain other than changing the way it looks
The 6.0 swap is happening sooner than later. Already contacted BBP about the tune.

I can spend $200 now on shorties, which won't be different than cast manifolds, tune-wise, now and not add the complexity of getting cats welded to LT headers and all that jazz.

LTs are better, but let's all just pretend they aren't an option. Im thinking I can throw a set of shorties into my 5.3 engine bay now ( the current 5.3 manifolds are gross, and leak anyways) and at least have one less operation to deal with when I get all the parts & stuff prepped to attempt the 6.0 swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith