valve spring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southernstyle

Reaction score
i have a mostly stock 01 yukon 5.3 with exhaust and k&n intake. im about to get a custom tune(probably bb) and drop in a monster transmission to replace the slipping stocker 4l60e but before i can do this i have a valve tapping that must be fixed. the problem i'm having is i know i need to replace my valve springs but im not sure of the size of the springs. im buying a valvetrain kit with pushrods, springs,etc. i think i need a spring with a 1.72" installed height but im not sure. anyone have an idea i can really use some help on this.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you sure its a bad valve? these LS motors clatter alot....mine sounds like a solid cam setup....

OP
OP
S

Southernstyle

Reaction score
yeah thats about how it sounds. im pretty sure its a valve tapping but not 100% sure. it just started about a month ago and is only coming from the passenger side. the reason i think that is because these LS motors are roller motors there shouldnt be any clattering at all

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not the springs that clatter, its the lifters... toss in set of OEM LS6 lifters and the noise goes away..
That engine will be super quiet.

If you stil want to replace springs,, call up summit racing, and ask the tech guys.. They will hook ya up.. Get best springs you can afford. Better to do springs that can accept a high lift cam now, so your not doing it again later, when you decide to toss in a big bumpstick.

Customer service 800-230-3030

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not the springs that clatter, its the lifters... toss in set of OEM LS6 lifters and the noise goes away..
That engine will be super quiet.

If you stil want to replace springs,, call up summit racing, and ask the tech guys.. They will hook ya up.. Get best springs you can afford. Better to do springs that can accept a high lift cam now, so your not doing it again later, when you decide to toss in a big bumpstick.

Customer service 800-230-3030

agree

OP
OP
S

Southernstyle

Reaction score
thnx everyone for the input but my 01 Kon is with the mechanic. he tore into it and the valve springs are the problem on 2 different cylinders. what we found out was that a couple of the springs were so weak that it was causing the rocker to tap(no tension). 1 of the springs only has 14#'s of tension. i could completely compress it in my hand. try doin that with a good one. lol i'm still not sure about the installed height but i can find out from my mechanic if anyone wants to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevpar