Valve tick or normal sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All, I wanted to update this thread with a new video after I just changed the oil from Valvoline 5w30 synthetic to Mobile 1 5w30 syn with the same purlator boss filter. I am only at 101600 miles as I do not drive the truck much. However, I want to take it from PA to OBX in september and want to see what all i should do. Oil pressure has been great with no issues and the truck runs great. Still SLOWLY working on my transmission 3-2 rough downshift but got the brakes all squared away but this noise just seems louder to me. Please take a listen if ya'll have time and compare it to the previous ones. All my exhaust manifold bolts appear tight and I am not sure what is next to check. I do have a Tech2 but am not really familiar with what to check. I am willing to take the valve covers off and see what I find regrading the rockers and such but if that would be the next option, I have some follow up questions for that. Let me know what you think.

Edit: I did refill the oil filter as suggested previously. Also when I accelerate the noise seems to go away.

Revving
@Geotrash sorry to call on you but value your opinion based on your activity here. Any thoughts on how to best proceed next?
I’m sorry I missed your tag for me. I listened to both and that engine sounds healthy to me, too.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. I took the family of 7 (it was tight!) down to the OBX for 2 weeks (first 2 week vacation ever!) in the Yukon and it did perfect! I averaged around 16 MPG with it loaded including a small rear trailer hitch basket. Noise did not get a better or worse. I even threw in some B12 before I left for the first tank of gas.

Only down side was a guy from NY backed into it while my wife was parked at the food store and damaged the rear bumper and taillight. However, he actually stayed and had her paged so we went through insurance and its getting fixed as we speak. Now, only issue remaining is the tranny 3-2 downshift which I bought a Sonnax rebuilt valve body and need to find time to try and install it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burdbrain68